Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Spreadsheets

I'm an inexpert but compulsive constructor of spreadsheets. I have a number of them for gardening data, most of them abandoned as too clumsy in the long run. I guess I keep hoping they'll compensate for my failing memory but... (forget what I was going to say.)

Here's the start of my latest one, in hopes of getting organised with succession planting.
Screenshot-1.png
It's modified from one I found online at
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/viewht ... succession

Johnny's Select Seed also has a lot of good information online about successions.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You might have wanted to put this with your previous post on succession planting... The link to succession planting info seems like it would be good to have there.

applestar
Mod

I can merge this thread with your succession thread if you want. PM me. But if you want this thread to be discussion about different spreadsheets to keep track of our gardens, we could do that independently.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I was unsure where best to post my spreadsheet sample. It does fit in the succession thread but I'd also like to see other folks' spreadsheets on any aspect of gardening. How about just placing a link to it here? I don't know how to do that so please feel free (Applestar?)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This is my spreadsheet for next year, it is my 35'x60' garden map with plant lay out.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Gary that's a well-organised "manual" spreadsheet; neat & tidy too. One reason I like computer sheets is it's easier to move stuff around & accomodate changes. I've tried using the computer for layout but reverted to a wall-hung garden plan & sticky notes for crops. My beds are in 3'-6" by 4' sections so that works quite well.

Do you allocate 35ft to 6 tomatoes and a pepper? I can't afford that much space.

Here's my spreadsheet to record sowing & harvesting. It's quite cumbersome - I always want to add too many data fields "because I can."
Screenshot-2.png
As you'll see I'm more enthusiastic about devising these things than conscientious about keeping them up to date. But maybe I'll improve! Last year there were a few reasons the garden really got away from me and the record-keeping suffered similarly. I'm still trying to reclaim the horribly neglected beds.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

You guys got me beat, I use my Google calendar, Evernote and Google Keep.

Google keep is mainly for evaluation of a specific item. Its nice because I can take a photo with my phone, jot down some notes/thoughts/first harvest/last harvest/problems etc..., this helps me to make future decisions on planting and troubleshooting.

My calendar is for a planting and seed starting schedule.

My heavy notes like where to plant, suppliers, receipts, spacing, things to do, purchasing etc... are in my Evernote.

Believe it or not, having three sources of info is easier for me than having one fits all organizer. I could combine Keep with Evernote but I like the format of Keep especially on my phone.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”