elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Rotting Zuchini

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/DSCF1835.jpg[/img]

This poor little guy looked like he was doing so well until this afternoon.
Is this what happens when a zuchini isn't pollinated?

If that isn't the cause then what else may have caused this one zuchini to start rotting. I have two plants each with about 4 other zuchinis on them in different stages of development and they are all doing fine. I don't think it was getting too much water and it wasn't sitting in a puddle so I kinda ruled that one out already.

native

mine does that to and have no idea why :?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Probably just some fungi or something else in the soil that's gotten at your zucchini, try raising the vines up above the soil.

Roger

It looks to me a little like blossom end rot, like tomatoes get. Squashes can get it too, for the same reasons : either low calcium in the soil at the plant site, or excessive nitrogen feeding interfering with normal calcium uptake.

doccat5
Green Thumb

It looks very much like a virus. I'd suggest you add a bit of lime around your plants to help balance the ph a bit. Plant radishes around your squash to act as a "trap crop" for squash beetles which spread the virus. Pull all damaged radishes and destroy, then plant some more to eat. :)

To increase your fruit set try some epsom salts spray. 1 teaspoon in a quart of warm water, mix throughly and spray all the blossoms. The squash likes the extra magnesium and it helps to make them a bit stronger.

doccat5

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”