Greener Thumb

I'm just ANGRY!

Nothing to say, just angry. :evil:

applestar
Mod

SVB's are the pits. :evil:

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Oh junk! I'm so sorry. You've been my hero as the urban gardener that overcomes everything...I should've known
SVBs would rear their heads.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I may try again next year and will be diligent spraying BTK weekly. Hell I may even try starting a crop this weekend.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Angry? Well, go ahead and jump up and down and stomp your feet. Then go replant.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

:eek:

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Angry? Well, go ahead and jump up and down and stomp your feet. Then go replant.
LOL, I jumped up and down while I was replanting this weekend.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A little diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the area may keep the pests off.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I have another plant going, just sprayed with BTK, Test plant, not sure Ill get anything but we will see.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Ugh, all I can say is that I can completely relate :cry: I had my first known experience with SVBs this year and don't even know if I want to bother trying next year. I'll be curious to hear how the BTK works for you. I've never used it before, how are you using it and how often?

told2b

"BTK" stands for "Bind, Torture, Kill."

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

This is why I grow moschata squashes. They make good 'summer' squashes too.

applestar
Mod

I'm with !Potatoes! Much better chances with C.moschata species. I only buy seeds from vendors that list the specific cucurbit species anymore. Haha. Only issue for me is they tend to be later maturing... but I'm working on trying and finding earlier maturing productive varieties, and as mentioned, they can also be eaten immature. Plus fully mature, cured fruits are longest keeping/storing squashes I've ever seen.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

pinksand wrote:Ugh, all I can say is that I can completely relate :cry: I had my first known experience with SVBs this year and don't even know if I want to bother trying next year. I'll be curious to hear how the BTK works for you. I've never used it before, how are you using it and how often?

I don't know why my post from yesterday didn't show up, seems like whenever I post from my phone its a 50/50 chance it shows up...
Anyhow I mixed a small batch maybe 4 oz. and sprayed the entire plant and the soil, I know overkill. The directions say to use whatever you mix within 24 hours, so I plan on mixing up a few ounces every week then hit it in the morning and evening once a week. we will see.

I don't even know if the SVB is an active pest this time of year and the true test will be next year with my Zucchini and Spaghetti Squash, I plan on being diligent in the spring.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

SQWIB wrote: I don't know why my post from yesterday didn't show up, seems like whenever I post from my phone its a 50/50 chance it shows up...
Anyhow I mixed a small batch maybe 4 oz. and sprayed the entire plant and the soil, I know overkill. The directions say to use whatever you mix within 24 hours, so I plan on mixing up a few ounces every week then hit it in the morning and evening once a week. we will see.

I don't even know if the SVB is an active pest this time of year and the true test will be next year with my Zucchini and Spaghetti Squash, I plan on being diligent in the spring.
Thanks for sharing your battle plan! I'll have to remember to do the same next spring... those SVBs are so nasty :evil:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: "I don't even know if the SVB is an active pest this time of year" I think not. I can never grow summer squashes (either here or when I was in Cincinnati) because of the vine borers. I had given up. But I planted a yellow summer squash at the end of July. I deliberately didn't even try treating it with anything. So far it has ten squashes on it and no sign of vine borer yet.

I'm really hopeful that this turns out to be a way I can grow zucchini and other summer squashes! :)

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:RE: "I don't even know if the SVB is an active pest this time of year" I think not. I can never grow summer squashes (either here or when I was in Cincinnati) because of the vine borers. I had given up. But I planted a yellow summer squash at the end of July. I deliberately didn't even try treating it with anything. So far it has ten squashes on it and no sign of vine borer yet.

I'm really hopeful that this turns out to be a way I can grow zucchini and other summer squashes! :)
Noted.
Planting in July sounds like a decent back up plan.
Thanks for the tip.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, it was the very end of July (like around the 30th) when I planted that.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yeah, it was the very end of July (like around the 30th) when I planted that.

I didn't get mine in until August 21st, I got one that is growing but our potential first frost is October 15th. I don't see any chance I'll get any fruit but who knows, I've seen crazier stuff.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”