Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PEAS which one is a good one to grow?

What is the name of those oriental peas that are pods only used in Chinese stir fly? Do they have a short growing season? If I plant peas Sept 1st I have 2 months until first frost.

What are other good peas to grow?

¢

imafan26
Mod

I have planted Oregon sugar pod and mammoth melting sugar peas. They have both been good. They are about 75 days to harvest. I think you have to plant them now or get starts or you will run out of time, unless your snow is late.

If you plant them in a hoop house you may gain a couple of more weeks.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Plant peas early in cool weather. Victory Freezer and Little Marvel have been excellent for me. The Wando pea will grow when the weather is warmer. It is a good one for a late crop.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Plant peas early in cool weather. Victory Freezer and Little Marvel have been excellent for me. The Wando pea will grow when the weather is warmer. It is a good one for a late crop.
I am looking for peas to plant Sept 1st our first frost is Nov 1st, no freeze until Dec or Jan and no snow until Feb. Are you saying plant Victory Freezer and Little Marvel now it will mature in cool weather?

I can not plant peas in spring until May maybe first or second week temperature will be in the 80s if I plant Wando pea it will be 98 degree by July 4th.

It was suggested to plant Oregon sugar pod and mammoth melting sugar peas now.

In the past I have always planted Alaska snow peas between Aug 15 to Sept 1 they do good in frost and freeze but the crops are always small on any variety of pea I plant. I am beginning to think peas are a waste of time crop is too small.

Last year I planted 1/2 lb of pea seeds harvest was about 3/4 lb.

Maybe the oriental pea pods are the best thing to plant I can not remember the name of those?

imafan26
Mod

I have not tried to grow Wando, but it sounds like it is tolerant to extremes of hot and cold so it may be a good one. Ideal temps are 50-75 degrees and it is tolerant to light frosts so it can do ok. days to maturity is 68 and add another 30 days for repeat harvest.

You should be able to plant the seeds now in a cool spot and transplant out Sept. 1.
https://www.ufseeds.com/Zone-7-Planting-Calendar.html
https://sowtrueseed.com/product/productwando/

applestar
Mod

You are thinking of snow peas and the two imafan mentioned -- Oregon Sugarpod and Mammoth Melting Sugar are both snow pea varieties. Another one I like is Swiss Giant.

If you like snow peas, you might also like peas that are bred for their shoots rather than their pods. I haven't grown them but have heard they taste like snow peas and unlike the blossoms and pods are more frost-hardy. I think digit'S has grown them. Maybe he will come along and comment.

Pea Shoots
https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_snow_pea_shoots.html

Krasus3

I will second imafan26 with the Oregon Sugar Snaps. I've grown them the last three years with really good results. Spring start for best results. I have seen them grow in the summer as well, but just not as well.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Another one recommending Oregon sugar pod. They are prolific - even in low temps.

I love pea shoots and eat them all the time - shoots, sprouts and leaves (sounds like that joke, lol). They do not taste like pea pods/snow peas and I would not recommend assuming one is like the other.

Another one you might want to try with respect to productive harvest and ability to withstand your Fall temps is sugar snap peas, of which there are many varieties.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There is an endorsement for those pea tendrils from KitchenGardener :).

Peas are not a big crop for me in the fall but that's okay. It's nice to have them so I usually sow the Oregon Sugar Pods. That is during the final week of July. Seedlings survive the heat at that time of year but do little growing; soon, they will make up for the slow start but never reach spring growth levels.

They should produce pods before the weather turns real cool here in September. Once again, their growth will be inhibited. They can take a frost but it will destroy their blossoms. Some years, I have had more harvests of tendrils than pods and I like them just about when the flowers begin to open. Usually, I've got pods, however.

Gary, my guess is that it is just about the perfect time for you to plant peas. Maybe, the vines won't grow quite as much as early in the year but think of it this way - you won't have to build your trellis for them quite as high, either.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Quote: "I am looking for peas to plant Sept 1st our first frost is Nov 1st, no freeze until Dec or Jan and no snow until Feb. Are you saying plant Victory Freezer and Little Marvel now it will mature in cool weather?"

Oh, I cannot say about fall planting. Here at this high mountain desert we get June, July and August frost free most years with maybe another week in September. For sure by September 7 we will have a killing frost. So here we plant peas early spring. No fall crop. Hmmmm, worth a try to plant now if you don't get frost till November. Good luck!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”