Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Honey Dew Melon do they get ripe setting in the kitchen?

Honey Dew Melons are 99¢ at the grocery store so I bought 1.

Do these melons get ripe setting on the kitchen country top like other fruits?

How can I tell when this melon is ripe?

I never buy Honey Dew they R never ripe I bought this 1 for the seeds, if I can eat it too that would be good. Seeds R4 next years garden.

jeff84

they are just a net free variety of cantaloupe. some are a canary yellow and others a pale lime green. just depends on the variety.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It's a junk shoot if it ripens or goes bad first is my experience. I find honey dew melons are a good bit harder than cantaloupes, even when ripe. I've never had a honey dew get that soft on the end feel like you get with some melons, but they are usually good to eat, just maybe not as close to the rind as some melons.

A store near me had cantaloupes on sale at 4 for $5 and I picked up one since it is just the wife and I. That thing was the absolute worst cantaloupe I've ever cut open. It smelled sweet, felt right when pressing the ends, but when I cut it open, it was firm, but almost dry and not juicy like most melons. My take is, if they are on sale cheap, that usually means the quality is not too good.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:It's a junk shoot if it ripens or goes bad first is my experience.

A store near me had cantaloupes on sale at 4 for $5 and I picked up one since it is just the wife and I. That thing was the absolute worst cantaloupe I've ever cut open. It smelled sweet, felt right when pressing the ends, but when I cut it open, it was firm, but almost dry and not juicy like most melons. My take is, if they are on sale cheap, that usually means the quality is not too good.
I figured a melon full of 500 seeds cost less than a $2 package of seeds. If I bought 500 seeds in packages that would cost $50. I get a lot of my seeds from grocery store fruit & vegetables. Seeds always grow and always make good fruit and vegetables. I already have a good supply of seeds for next years garden. I will leave the honey dew melon n the kitchen for a while, maybe a week to see what happens. When I harvest seeds I will plant about 15 seeds in the garden to see if they grow. If they grow I will save the remaining seeds for next year. I only need about 5 good seeds the rest may become sprouts to eat in salads, sandwiches, etc.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Saving seeds is always a gamble. If the fruit it came from was a hybrid, next years crop could produce something entirely different or even several different things. If your plant is non-hybrid and there are no other plants of its species growing near, it will likely produce seed that will be true to form. Remember the bees hit all the blossoms and bees travel up to two miles looking for goodies.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”