imafan26
Mod

Re: What do YOU know about different types of GARLIC?.

For those of you in the south, you can get garlic from Costco. Christopher Ranch is located in Gilroy, California. The garlic is not treated so the bulbs will sprout after they have been conditioned. It is a softneck variety suitable for short days. .

Most of you do not have the same problem I do getting things shipped in. Most seed houses do not ship outside the contiguous states.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:For those of you in the south, you can get garlic from Costco. Christopher Ranch is located in Gilroy, California. The garlic is not treated so the bulbs will sprout after they have been conditioned. It is a softneck variety suitable for short days. .

Most of you do not have the same problem I do getting things shipped in. Most seed houses do not ship outside the contiguous states.
I actually got a small sack of garlic earlier today from Costco and it reads "Packaged by The Garlic Company, Bakersfield, CA." and is a product of Mexico.

I buy this stuff to use in seafood boils instead of using what I've grown in my garden.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This LINK is good information from commercial garlic grower. Keep your garlic in the refrigerator for no less than 3 months before you plant. Plant garlic in the garden when temperature is 40 to 50 degrees about November, use raised beds if needed to keep garlic out of wet soil. Garlic need very soft soil to make large bulbs. Plant garlic so it gets morning sun then full shade the hottest part of the day. Mulch with light color straw that will reflect sun light so the soil stays cold. You can grow hard neck or soft neck garlic in Florida. Garlic grows slow in cold weather that is how you get large garlic bulbs. Summer when temperature is in the 90s and 1/2 the green tops turn brown it is time to harvest garlic.

https://greyduckgarlic.com/Southern_Garl ... Guide.html

Krasus3

The onions I plants in May did the best, days were longer, warmer and less rain. This makes me wonder if I need to rethink when to plant Garlic?
May be worth a shot. I know here, even though fall planting generally has the best results, a couple of people who did not get their garlic soon enough and planted in early Spring. From what I recall, they still got harvests. I wonder if May would be pushing it though?

This was in Zone 5b.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”