zbadee2012
Newly Registered

Cucumber problem

Could someone please tell me what this is and is there any way of repairing it? Thank you in advance.
Attachments
1501406962070.jpg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Nope, that's a goner. I'd say you have an issue with "damping off" caused by pathogens in the soil. I see you are in the UK, so what are your soil temperatures like. Optimum soil temperature for cucumbers is 95 degrees F with the low side being 60 degrees F.

How is the drainage in that pot it's in? Poor soil drainage and excess moisture can lead to damping off and from your picture, I'd say the soil looks very wet.

zbadee2012
Newly Registered

Thank you, such a shame because it had quite a few cucumbers on it. I'll try again next year hopefully avoiding the problems you have identified in this thread.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what your situation is for planting things, but cucumbers I grow are from seeds directly sown into the ground since they don't transplant too well. I also grow them next to a trellis so they can climb and put a seed in every 4 inches or so along the length of the trellis. The volume of plants I have and how closely they are planted just about guarantees me tons of cucumbers once they start producing.

I am currently seeing my seeds pop up that I planted just a week ago for a fall harvest of cucumbers. My climate allows me to garden year round and I can get 2 plantings of many things I put in during the early spring months for a fall harvest.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”