Arriga
Cool Member

Okra blooms

How can I get my okra plants to produce more blooms?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I don't know of any way to do that and I've grown okra for many years. Then again, I get all I want when I plant it since I usually have around 75 of them in my garden at one time. Each plant will bear about 1 pod per day to day and a half when they are in full swing is my experience, with several blossoms in various stages of production as they mature.

Edited to add this:

Okra is a heat and drought tolerant plant and I find they do much better when we are in our hottest months of July and August here in New Orleans.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Right about now with this 95 to 97 degree heat and not much rain I am usually wishing my okra would stop making so many blossoms 40 okra pods every day from a 25 ft row so more than we can eat.

Not enough information? How tall are your plants? How old are the plants? What is your soil like? Are plants getting full sun with no shade all day? How many plants do you have? How close together are your plants? How hot is it at your place?

xtron
Cool Member

extra okra?? dehydrate it. it shrinks down so much you will be wondering "where did all the okra go??"
then when you re-hydrate it you will wonder "why did I pore so much in the pan??"
and rehydrated, it tastes just like it did the day you picked it. I love fried breaded okra on a cold February evening with corn bread and beans.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”