Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WHERE to buy seed potatoes this times of the year?

If I could buy Russet seed potatoes I will have 4 months before frost, just enough time to grow 150 lbs of potatoes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

just do a search on seed potatoes for sale and order them on-line

https://www.google.com/search?q=seed+po ... e&tbm=shop

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I found a lot of places selling seeds potatoes for spring garden. One places says, Certified organic 1 lb of potatoes for $15 plus $4.99 postage. Yea right $20 for 3 potatoes no eyes sprouting.

I have a basket full of home grown organic garden potatoes from my own garden in my kitchen how do I make eyes sprout by tomorrow?

I don't see anyone advertising potatoes that are ready to plant now.

LOOK at this, not sure I ever want to eat another commercially grown grocery store potato. Everything we eat is poison.

https://www.decodedscience.org/chemical ... owth/45175
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I've often wondered about that too. Say, if one could buy some extra seed potatoes as late as possible in the spring, then put them in the vegetable drawer til mid summer when some new space might open up in the garden, then take them out a couple weeks before planting to get them started chitting, if that would work.

The thing is, most seed potatoes you buy are already starting to sprout, so then if you put them in the frig, would that mess with their growth; forcing dormancy on them like that? :?:

Doesn't help for this year, but I might try that next year.

bri80

I think this kind of goes against the life cycle of potatoes. They are biennials and have evolved to sprout in the spring so they can form tubers by fall and then over-winter and sprout again in the spring. Not sure this plan would work even if you found some.

applestar
Mod

I know certified seed potatoes are what you really should plant, but ....organic potatoes do sprout in the pantry -- often within a month depending on conditions. It IS better to buy loose potatoes do you can at least visually inspect each one because they can and do sometimes have obvious defects. Some bagged potatoes are pretty bad and you can't see the signs due to the obscuring effect of the bag.

We have a link to photo gallery of visual potato defects somewhere....

jeff84

light will make eyes grow faster.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”