JoyousFaith08
Location: Appalachian Mountains - Hardiness Zone 6a/6b & Sunset Zone 36, 2,375 ft. elevation

An extremely unhappy cucumber plant

I planted a couple of vegetable planters for my best friend who just had her third baby. She lives several hours away from me so I only check on them every three weeks or so. Last time I was here, I noticed that the cucumber stems had split near where they exit the earth. I mounded some soil over them and they looked to be in pretty good shape. When I checked on the plants today, they looked terrible! The bottom leaves are either dead or yellow and even the vines are yellow! The fruit also seems misshapen. My own cucumber plants had done something similar but I caught it almost immediately, took off the yellow leaves, and my cucumbers have been happy. I'm afraid my friend is going to lose hers.

Does anyone have any experience with this happening? Is there anything I can do to it today before I go home to help save the plant? I have attached pictures of the misshapen produce and the leaves.

Thank you SO much!
Attachments
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG

bri80

I dunno, looks like simple dehydration to me. Have you checked to see how dry the soil is? A lot of times, people think they're watering enough but the soil isn't absorbing hardly any moisture. The plant may recover if you soak the soil. Over-watering can also be a problem, so make sure the soil is dry a few inches down first.

The fruits look fine to me, if maybe a bit larger than ideal.

The garlic man
Newly Registered

Looks like an early blight and/or virus.

Did the cucumbers suffer from not being watered? That would add to their stress.

The damage looks severe enough that I don't believe that they can be truly saved.

If time permits, you could try to replant. (Pick a new location in the garden.) Sorry, I don't have a quick fix. However I hope that helps.

imafan26
Mod

If the stem was split something could have gotten in, either a disease or stem borer and I think it is time to yank the plant. It is probably beyond salvage if it is wilting that much even after it is watered.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If planting out in the soil, (Not pots or containers) put 5 seed in a spot and take two steps and repeat. Let them grow out like the spokes on a wheel. No trellising. The vines will send down roots at the leaf nodes which gives the plant a large root system. There are several types of cukes available from the garden stores. Do a little research and try several varieties. Have fun!

dtizme
Cool Member

do those trays have holes in them so the plants can go directly into the ground? If not I would say that would be the first problem Those don't look like very deep trays. Also they look like there planted to close together. Mine aren't looking the greatest this year, definatly alot healthier than those but I think my issue is planting to close together. They way your setup looks I would think you would have to water those almost every day to have a chance.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”