Adilleynn

Mixing canning in your garden?

So my sister tries... she gave me some pumpkin she was super proud of canning from my mothers garden. Unfortunately she isn't the best at this sort of thing and as they sat within a week they started to turn. I haven't poured them out yet, as I was thinking.... can I add this to my soil on fall and till it under? I have quite a bit, and I don't want to do damage to my garden.... opinions?
I don't can pumpkin, so I don't know much about it... I always freeze mine.
Attachments
IMG_8452.JPG

jeff84

I have always heard that canning pumpkin is not possible at home as our small home canning units cant reach the temp required to sterilize it.

if I were you I would add it to the compost sooner than later or just burry it in the garden now, the worms will appreciate it. if it does have botulism growing in it, taking out of the anaerobic setting will halt its growth and allow other microbes to begin working on it

or use what hasn't spoiled yet now to make a pie or two

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The jar that turned dark is spoiled. Photo looks like it is darker near the seal, the seal leaked that made it spoil. Throw the bad one in the compose. The other jars all appear to be good.

There are several reasons the seal leaked. Jar rim could be chipped, food between the glass and seal, rings were not tight, pressure was released from pressure cooker instead of allowing it to cool slow and natural, jars were removed from hot water while rubber seal was still soft.

Check rings on the other jars they may be loose.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You will want a good canning guide book:

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book-G ... 0972753702

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pumpkin is for Jack-O-Lanterns. If you want something to eat grow a Banana or Hubbard squash

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Yes, the dark one is spoiled but it can be dumped into the garden without harming it. The others look fine as long as they were processed properly. Pumpkin and winter squash CAN be canned when cubed. It cannot be properly processed when it is pureed. The Ball Blue Book does have instructions for canning cubed pumpkin.
Here is the national center for home food preservation site on canning pumpkin:
https://nchfp.uga.edu/tips/fall/pumpkins.html

2totango

throw it on the compost pile and make it into soil!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When canning non acid foods like beans or pumpkins, you will want a pressure cooker. Canning or bottling is a great way to preserve some garden produce, but it does need to be done properly to be safe. Get the Ball Blue Book.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”