pointer80

Are my radishes done and if so what next?

Hello all, I planted my radishes June 3rd. and have gotten some nice radishes but some did not amount to much(I am sure I didn't thin them like I should have). Will the radishes keep growing or should I harvest them all at this point? Also should I plant more radishes in there place or another crop? I am in zone 5 and am wondering if it's too warm for radishes? Thanks everyone.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

If you leave radishes in too long they tend to get woody and many of them will split open as the get larger. I'd pick them and start over since they do grow so fast.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Agree with Gumbo. Don't know why, but for me, there are always some that don't amount to much other than a more elongated, woody root. I think it has to do with having soil moved or their fragile roots disrupted early on but I'm not sure.

xtron
Cool Member

leave a couple to go to seed. most store bought varieties will reproduce just fine.
but be advised, the stalks can get huge before they bloom and pod, and each pod has a huge amount of seeds in it, so don't over estimate how many you need for next year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Early spring planted radishes come up and when their first true leaves develop, they make a nice big root. Radishes planted later often go right to flower without making the nice big root. I don't know if its a day length thing or temperature thing, but radishes will try your patience. Try a few different varieties too. You may find one that does better in your locale. Also fall radishes do well here. I plant about mid august. Lessee, in Michigan, you likely need to plant radishes in April.

pointer80

Thanks everyone

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

This year I let a few radishes go all the way to flower and seed once I knew they wouldn't be any good. Then I noticed the goldfinches who like to eat my leaves of other plants liked the radish plants. So I left them in as a kind of trap crop. Then later noticed that the hummingbirds came to the flowers too.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The seed pods are supposedly edible. Google will provide many articles about how to fix them. I've never eaten them so I can't verify the accuracy of their info. If I can get all my other planting done I will try planting more radishes so I can try the pods.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”