lala01

OK to let morning glory wrap around stem of squash plant?

Will that hurt it? I'm talking about the thick base of the plant

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Are you talking about the weed Morning Glory? If so pull it out!

lala01

I planted it from seed haha. Heavenly Blue morning glories

jeff84

the morning glories will choke out other plants, other than trees. they really need their own trellis

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

jal_ut wrote:Are you talking about the weed Morning Glory? If so pull it out!
Much easier said than done. Once established that stuff just keeps coming back, I have been chasing the fallout form one pretty lil 6" pot of the evil stuff for 5 years and still have more to eradicate.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Much easier said than done." Yes, of course, but you have to ask, do I want to get rid of it or just let it crowd out everything? So pull it out! The other option is load your sprayer with poison and go spray it!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

ID jit wrote:
jal_ut wrote:Are you talking about the weed Morning Glory? If so pull it out!
Much easier said than done. Once established that stuff just keeps coming back, I have been chasing the fallout form one pretty lil 6" pot of the evil stuff for 5 years and still have more to eradicate.
You are right once morning glory gets started it is a nightmare to get rid of it. If you pull the plants up the remaining energy in the plants will make seeds so never pulled up plants then throw them down in your garden they will die and make seeds at the same time. About 20 years ago I got a free truck load of cow manure from a local farmer. I put that in my garden next thing I know I had the worse nightmare of weeds I ever say, morning glory, thistle, pig weed, you name I had it. It worked me to death trying to get rid of it. I had tons of weeds every year after that until one year I tilled the garden every day for a whole month before I planted my garden. All that tilling killed all the weeds that were growing and stirred seeds near the surface where they germinated, each time I tilled it killed more plants and made more plants grow. After about 3 weeks of tilling the weed nightmare was getting close to being gone. I tilled for 1 more week then planted the garden and still had to fight weeds for 3 years before they were finally gone. That was the last time I got cow manure from a local farm.

jeff84

the native morning glories are much more aggressive than the cultivars, that isn't to say the cultivars aren't aggressive as well because they are.

one of my neighbors grows a single plant every year, and has to replant it every year. not sure how they do that exactly. I think they use a pre emergent herbicide, and start the seed in a pot. then transplant into the treated flower bed.

ID jit
Green Thumb

Pig problems I have had with it were that is was well established when I started going after it, it has managed to root itself under a deck and porch and just keeps creeping out, and it is intertwined in 3 flower gardens, and has established itself if the local woods...... all form one cute lil 6" pot.

I try to avoid stuff like this, but it is actually working very well:
https://www.roundup.com/smg/goprod/roun ... od11780006

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Weeds: They just come. The seed comes in the wind, here it comes in the irrigation water too. Let one plant go to seed on your place and you get enough seed to seed the whole place. Yes, you are going to have weeds. Plan on it. Weeding becomes one of the necessary activities if we are to grow garden plants. We plant then weed, then weed, then weed. You get the idea?

ID jit
Green Thumb

So, plant everything, then start weeding at on end and when you get to the other end go back to the beginning and repeat? :lol:

jeff84

daily especially until the garden plants are established, then once a week at least. pretty much anytime you step outside and take a lap and pull the bigger weeds. you don't have to get em all at once

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”