SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Fall crops help needed

Input needed

I will be starting my Fall crops

Broccoli this weekend and another broccoli planting next weekend.
Bush beans the following weekend

Hers my dilemma.

Where the hell do I plant them, should I terminate or thin the marigolds?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That's the dilemma all backyard gardeners face-----space for the things you want. Well, you can't eat Marigolds, so my option would be to lose them, but broccoli plants tend to be pretty big and that space isn't real big, so maybe you have to make a decision as to what can be pulled if it is getting played out and harvest is waning.

I'm assuming your yard is not part of the picture on the other side of that wood fence down the middle. Too bad if it isn't because you could use the portion behind that retaining wall at the rear of the property.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:That's the dilemma all backyard gardeners face-----space for the things you want. Well, you can't eat Marigolds, so my option would be to lose them, but broccoli plants tend to be pretty big and that space isn't real big, so maybe you have to make a decision as to what can be pulled if it is getting played out and harvest is waning.

I'm assuming your yard is not part of the picture on the other side of that wood fence down the middle. Too bad if it isn't because you could use the portion behind that retaining wall at the rear of the property.

I tried to get the wife on board with another raised bed 3'x 12' between the shed and firepit, was gonna incorporate bench seats on the fire pit side, she shot me down, said the dogs need space, I said I understand but we can't eat the dogs... or could we!

Yeah my neighbor next to me had a pool and deck there for years, they're at the stage where they don't want to be bothered with any type of gardening.

I'll probably thin the area out, leaving a few marigolds, cut back the crimson clover and plant a few broccoli. I have never been able to grow spring broccoli so I wanted to attempt a fall harvest.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I don't start my fall crops for another month, and only a couple that early. Brussels sprouts maybe at the end of July, but I haven't grown that for several years. And many of those Asian greens grow so fast that they would be bolting in the September heat we have here, if I started them now!

The row I plant my garlic in is where I plant my fall greens. And I just harvested my garlic!

applestar
Mod

A bucket brigade along the base of the retaining wall? You can make them SIP's (like Global Buckets) or not. Or if you can squeeze extra 6-8" more from your dog out of that area, you can go with earthtainer type storage tote SIP's... or you can buy earthboxes, but I thought you would rather make them yourself.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:A bucket brigade along the base of the retaining wall? You can make them SIP's (like Global Buckets) or not. Or if you can squeeze extra 6-8" more from your dog out of that area, you can go with earthtainer type storage tote SIP's... or you can buy earthboxes, but I thought you would rather make them yourself.
I do have a dozen various Air Pruning Pots. 7 and 10 gallon.

I would have to tie in a drip line though

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Maybe I can terminate my 2 zucchini plants, they haven't produced anything lately.

Or out front, could build a narrow planter 20" x 5' and put a wide ledge around the side closer to the bench to hold my beer. :D

Maybe a small unobtrusive raised bed here, in between the Tiger Lillies and the front herb garden, but this will eventualy be a bit more shaded when the Red Maple grows in, I would like to try here but what else could I grow here when the tree grows in?

I would love to do the entire yard, hell, veggies are growing all over anyhow.

My most invasive plant is Matts Wild Cherry. :shock:

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If you make a raised bed near the maple tree be prepared for the tree roots to invade your bed. You could make a frame and set pots or buckets inside the frame. What to plant when the tree gets larger? Greens and herbs. Lettuce, kale, chard, peas, and annual herbs will produce enough in dappled shade and over a bit longer period than they would in full sun.

imafan26
Mod

It is a dilemma with small gardens. If would be nice if there was enough space to leave it empty, but that does not work out when every inch counts. I usually delay planting my next crop, usually broccoli stays in longer and I have to start the corn late.
Broccoli planting is less problematic, because unlike the corn that I direct sow, the broccoli gets started in pots first. I have a couple of months before I have to find a spot for them. The bucket brigade is not a bad idea. I never really planted my main garden at all this year, and I have had time to plant in pots. I have pots all around the yard but a lot of them are around the garden. I planted two tomatoes but, one got tomato yellow leaf curl virus, so both got pulled out. I planted peas in one and beans in the other. I added another 2 pots between the two and planted zucchini and cucumber. I followed the beans with beets and I bought some perpetual spinach to the pot with the beets. I also bought more cucumber seedlings to plant in the pot that had the peas. I have another pot, I might try to plant a blueberry bush or another eggplant. I have to make room for more pots so I can get some things off the nursery bench for more seedlings. I might even get around to planting a piece of the main garden. I got an ajaka basil. It is a type of holy basil, I had it before and it was resistant to downy mildew. I have only managed to lay weed block on half the back yard and some of the weeds are coming back with the rain. I need to get on that. Then I might at least have more ground space for more pots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”