laural4705
Newly Registered

Please help me to identify this plant...

I planted a whole bunch of these, I believe that they are some type of sweet, small pepper, but I can't remember and I don't have the package anymore. I did receive some seeds from a friend in China, so they could have been from there, but I just don't know... does anyone recognize this? Thanks!

[img]img_1913.jpg[/img]
Attachments
plant to identify
plant to identify

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That looks to me like some sort of citrus fruit bearer. I've not seen pepper plants with those type leaves or fruit with that type covering. It looks more like a rind than a skin.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It does not look like pepper. I see why gumbo said citrus, those fruits do kind of look like limes, but the leaves and flower aren't right.

The flower (although there's not a good close up of it) actually does look like a potato flower. I don't think it is, but maybe something else in the nightshade family?

The picture is is Solanum carolinense, Carolina horse nettle, also a nightshade. The leaves are very different, but you can see the flower resemblance. Common nightshade has the same flowers and berries that are green when immature, but they turn black long before they get that size.

It's a mystery to me. I can't rule out citrus fruit, but you could, by cutting a fruit in half to see what it looks like inside (and then show us!). I can't find a nightshade with leaves like that. So I don't know, but maybe we can all keep guessing!! :)

told2b

Looks like Turkey Berry. Solanum something??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dunno... It does have the look of a Solanum (nightshade).

Here's one pic of the Solanum Torvum, turkey berry:

How big are those fruits in your picture, Laura? Here's a picture of turkey berries cut open:

But the leaves are still not right. Turkey berry leaves:

Keep the guesses coming!! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just to keep people thinking, here's Chinese habanero

those fruits would be green to start with.

laural4705
Newly Registered

Ok, here r more pics, my dad was guessing some sort of nightshade, too. I am just trying to figure out if the fruit will be edible or ornamental haha, I planted all the seeds I had, so there is a lot :lol:
Insides
Insides
Leaves
Leaves
p]
Plant stands about 2 1/2 ft tall
Plant stands about 2 1/2 ft tall
Attachments
Flower
Flower

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, now most def some kind of nightshade and the turkey berry is moving up on the list.

I would not eat it unless you have it positively ID'd as something edible. The green fresh fruits of turkey berry are edible and used in Thai and Jamaican cuisine, but even so if over done, cases of poisoning have occurred. And many other nightshades are more toxic.

applestar
Mod

Apparently some people have natural immunity or ability to neutralize solanacea alkaloids/toxins while others lack this capability, so even if one person or group of people can eat something in solanacea family, it's not a guarantee that you would be able to as well.

laural4705
Newly Registered

Well, that is that, I am definitely not that hungry haha - ok, well, a bunch of pretty plants then... :)

laural4705
Newly Registered

Just wanted to give a quick update, my dad helped me to figure out this mystery plant. For those who guessed a member of the nightshade family, you were correct! This is a Jerusalem Cherry, looks like a cherry tomato on the outside and a pepper on the inside, highly toxic. Pulling them out of the garden tomorrow!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”