tanaaron

Why is this Snap Pea dying?

Symptoms:
- starting from the lowest leaves, leaf color is turning from vibrant to sickly/light green
- the paling is beginning from the edge of the leaf and progressing inwards
- leaves seem less rigid than normal, but not completely floppy

Photos attached are:
1) base of the dying plant
2) leaf starting to die
3) healthy leaf

Environment:
- sunny
- low 80's
- watering daily
- 12-inch diameter (3 gallon) pot
Attachments
leaf starting to die
leaf starting to die
healthy leaf
healthy leaf
base of the dying plant
base of the dying plant

bri80

It's too late for peas... they like cool spring weather, they're not a summer crop unless it stays really cool where you live.

imafan26
Mod

Peas are cool season annuals. But it is normal for peas to age by yellowing and browing from the bottom up. Most peas will produce for 4-6 weeks under the right conditons and if the pods are regularly picked. As the peas age they yellow and then brown from the bottom up until just the tips are green and finally even that will brown and any pods that have ripened still on the bush will dry.
https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planti ... nn%20Arbor

jasonvanorder

Not sure what the issue could be other than its toward the end of the plants natural life. I'm over on the west side of MI with similar weather that you have been having and our peas are doing great but they just started producing in the last week or so.

applestar
Mod

Even in the ground, peas last longer with cooler roots -- regular watering and thick mulch helps as well as planting in such a way that they get relief from the mid-day sun. Think how nice it is in a dense shade of an oak or maple tree compared to out in the direct sun.

In containers, the roots are ABOVE the ground, so at least air temperature all the time, even at night, and then direct sunlight on black or dark container heats them up. On the other hand, since they ARE in containers, you have the option to move them. But once peas decide it's time to quit, they go down pretty steadily. I don't know if they can come back.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

I agree with the others - mine do that when it gets hot, or after a productive run, they are just old and tired.

tanaaron

Thank you, everyone! It seems like the consensus is that heat may be the cause.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”