Adilleynn

Corn is really short but getting tassels?

IMG_8090.JPG
So my corn is starting to get tassels, but it's between 1-2 feet tall. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. The side of the garden does get shade most of the morning, but then is sunny the rest of the day.
I've watered with fish emulsion and Epsom salt (I use this on my whole garden) a few times. What could I be doing differently to help my corn grow tall and not be so short?
Last year it was at least 5 feet tall before I he tassels came in.
Attachments
IMG_8089.JPG

jeff84

some varieties of sweet corn just don't get very tall. or maybe they would have liked more nitrogen early on

Adilleynn

jeff84 wrote:some varieties of sweet corn just don't get very tall. or maybe they would have liked more nitrogen early on
The package says it gets to 4-5 foot stalks. I feel like 1-2 feet right now might be a little on the small side for the growth period (maybe I'm wrong).
Could I add nitrogen now to help them sprout up? Or add more fertilizers?

jeff84

they will probably get a little taller anyway. not much though. they go through a rapid growing stage before they begin to tassel, and put on a little more height after. I am sure some nitrogen now wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't expect a miracle.

farmers spray them with anhydrous ammonia when they are about a foot tall and they jump up fast after that. but then again that is pre tassel development

imafan26
Mod

If this is a new garden and you tried to grow them organically, that may be your problem. Corn is a high nitrogen feeder and you cannot just feed them a few times organically. If you planted corn in the same place last year and did not fully replace the nutrients that were lost, the corn won't grow as well.

If your variety is not a dwarf, corn will be 5-8 ft tall at maturity
Corn requires full sun preferably a long day of 12-16 hours of sun and a minimum of 6 hours of full sun. Temperate corn likes more than 12 hours of sun. Tropical corn can do with a little less. It is a warm season crop and does best if the temperature is at least 65 degrees.
Corn is a heavy feeder. The soil must be rich and it needs regular watering.
Plant corn in a block, not a row, 1/2 inch deep and 8-12 inches apart. If you are planting intensively you can plant 1 ft between rows but in a field it is better to leaves more room between rows. If planted to close, it will be hard to pollinate. All corn must be planted at the same time.
When corn is 2 inches high it should be fed with additional nitrogen as a side dressing.
When the tassels appear, then a second side dressing of nitrogen should be given.
Corn can grow 6-12 inches a week.
Corn is ready about 10-20 days after tassels appear, the corn ear angle will drop and the silk will begin to dry. You can feel the kernels filling through the husk. Over mature corn is starchy. I usually check my corn around 10 days after tasselling, the juice from the kernels should be thin not milky.

Adilleynn

It is a new garden. I decided to get rid of my planting boxes and actually put in a full garden this year. I also feel they should have been on the other side of the garden, but my planting boxes were there and already had plants in them. I built the one side of the garden, transplanted (again) the plants, removed the boxes, and built the rest of the garden.
I feel I may have stunted them by moving them the 2nd time. But they are also a shorter corn variety (4-5 feet), but I feel they should have been taller before getting tassels.
I will continue to feed them and hope they get taller. I still think they will produce either way.
Next year I will be sure to place them better (as it won't be a rushed mess to get things out of the way... . ha ha ha)
Thanks for the advice and help!!

applestar
Mod

Try giving them lots of water, too. This time of year, we hear near and actual flooding reports from southern and western corn-growing areas, and I've decided my corn hadn't been getting nearly enough DEEP watering in comparison. So I've been trying to compensate for that in the last couple of years, and I think it has made a difference.

imafan26
Mod

In the past the corn belt used to just plant seeds and depended on rain to grow the corn. The changing climate has made that less reliable with many years of drought followed by deluges. Many corn growers irrigate their field and research is being done to find crops that will be more drought tolerant as water becomes scarcer and droughts get longer.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... te-change/

There are other dangers of relying on irrigation when there is record heat and drought
Water sources dry up and the land cannot support its vegetation, desertification increases.
Irrigating a desert increases crop yields but over time salt accumulates when their is not enough rain to wash it away and then the earth becomes to salty to sustain agriculture. We live in a changing world and it is only going to get hotter, we have to look for sources of edible plants that can survive in heat and with less water, or we will not have much of a future ourselves.

Adilleynn

Wanted to give an update...

the corn plants grew about 6 inches... some still have no tassels (yay!!!) ... but the ones that do are starting to make corn. Looks like I will have some early corn and later in the season (when it is suppose to) corn....
I'm happy that the early bloomers wont be duds, even if they do produce less than the others...
Attachments
IMG_8150.JPG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”