pointer80

Anybody know whats causing this issue on my vining plants

Hello all, Does anybody know what is causing this issue on some of the leaves of a couple of my vining plants? It is on my Zucchini. We have a lot of rain lately, almost to flood stage in some surrounding areas. I also treated my plants with Neem oil about a week ago. Thanks in advance all.
Attachments
IMG_2944.JPG
IMG_2945.JPG

pointer80

anybody??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't really know, but since no one else has responded, my guess would be a nutrients/ over watering issue. They go together, because when soil is too wet it shuts out oxygen and makes it difficult for plants to uptake any nutrients AND the nutrients are being flushed away with runoff or deeper into the soil, where the plant can't reach them.

I would fertilize the plants and perhaps add a layer to the mulch, make it a little more difficult for all that rain to penetrate to the soil.

imafan26
Mod

The rain could have leached the soil. The plants don't look that water damaged. With overwatering the problem will be the roots rotting and that would show up as wilting or edema in the leaves of some plants. You have a lot of mulch and I would actually pull some of that away from the core for a while so you can check how wet the soil is. It might be good to keep is away for a while so the soil can dry faster.

It looks more like a nutrient deficiency like potassium. Potassium interacts with a lot of other nutrients and can affect their availability. A quick fix of the problem would be to use Miracle grow for acid loving plants weakly weekly. If it is a nutrient deficiency the plants should improve in a couple of weeks. If not, then it is not that.

https://www.ipni.net/publication/betterc ... %20p12.pdf

Fertilize with miracle grow for a quick recharge of the nutrients and pull the mulch away for awhile to let the plants dry out if the soil is still very wet. Water only as needed.

pointer80

Thanks everyone, I have organic miracle grow, would that work? Also I am assuming it's not from using neem oil?

imafan26
Mod

I doubt it is the neem oil
I never heard of organic miracle grow. If you use anything organic it will take longer to fix the problem. Fish emulsion and blood meal will give you a quicker nitrogen fix but the truth is that soil organisms have to convert organic fertilizer to a form that is inorganic or elemental for the plants to take it up. If the soil was waterlogged, even soil bacteria can drown because they need air as well.
Most organic potassium not only has a low NPK, it is primarily going to be slow release. It may not show a difference in the short term.
https://www.grow-it-organically.com/orga ... urces.html

pointer80

imafan26 wrote:I doubt it is the neem oil
I never heard of organic miracle grow. If you use anything organic it will take longer to fix the problem. Fish emulsion and blood meal will give you a quicker nitrogen fix but the truth is that soil organisms have to convert organic fertilizer to a form that is inorganic or elemental for the plants to take it up. If the soil was waterlogged, even soil bacteria can drown because they need air as well.
Most organic potassium not only has a low NPK, it is primarily going to be slow release. It may not show a difference in the short term.
https://www.grow-it-organically.com/orga ... urces.html
Thanks again, The miracle grow is natures care water soluble plant food, 10-3-6 I also have fish emulsion which is 5-1-1 I was hoping to use what I have on hand but if not I will buy whats needed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”