Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Beans, beans & more beans. 3rd harvest 10 lbs.

We finally had a break in the rain so we went camping for a few days. We returned home to find a lot of beans, squash, onions, potatoes need to be harvested. This is 3rd harvest 10 lbs of Blue Lake bush beans. Total of 23 lbs of beans so far this year. I planted this patch of beans 3 times 2 weeks apart so it will not make 1 big giant harvest all at one times beans will just keep coming at a steady rate. My bean patch is 3ft x 20ft about 350 seeds. I might get close to 70 lbs of beans for the year if I let it grow another month. Soon I will let it go to seed. Last year I harvested my own seeds and planted them this year.

jeff84

eat, eat, eat, can and or freeze, repeat.
I always end up with two harvests from a single planting. pick the big ones, then let the little ones grow for a second picking. if there is more after that I am sick of dealing with them by then.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I always bottle some green beans. Do you do any canning? You might check with your county extension service for recipes or books on the subject?

jeff84

bottle? I canned some last night with diced onion and bacon in the jar. it was basically just an experiment. I cooked them for 35 minutes @ 15psi. everything seems to have went well. guess I really wont know for sure till I crack one open.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”