kareng

Pea vines and tomatoes

I was thinking of planting some pole snow peas so they will grow up my tomato plants, of course they will get no sun once the tomatoes start getting tall.

Is this a good or bad idea? I did some searches and can't find any info

(I know I ask a lot of questions, maybe someday I'll be able to answer some too! :oops: )

applestar
Mod

Re: Pea vines and tomatoes

Unless you live in a very cool summer location, snow peas and tomatoes are grown in different seasons. Well, actually one way they might be grown together is if you live in a temperate fall-winter location during which you could grow tomatoes as well as peas.

*Pole beans* would be the summer climber that typically grows in the same season as tomatoes, but I would not recommend growing them together unless you live in a very hot and dry climate where the tomatoes might benefit from the shade and would not suffer from fungal diseases caused by restricted airflow. Depending on the variety of beans, they could swallow the tomato plant.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Ksk
Cool Member

Peas and beans are nitrogen fixers so the settlers and Native Americans planted legumes with corn. Peas seem a bit fragile for that but you get the idea. The corn also supports pole beans as they are both warm season crops. Corn is a "nitrogen hog" so you might consider a nitrogen intensive companion planting but peas are so dependent on cool weather it will be difficult to time the effort exactly. You might consider supports instead that allow you to use shade cloth on hot days but even that suggests it is getting too hot for peas. I like supports because you can use them to plant peas very early and cover then in case of frost or even light snow.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have always said: "Give each plant its own space and enough space and it will succeed!"

It is good to plant the corn where the beans were last year, but don't interplant them.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

imafan26
Mod

I have grown peas and beans together, it did not turn out well, the beans grew faster, but I don't like entwining vines with other plants. they tend to strangle the leaves of the other plant and cause problems. I do underplant tomatoes, peppers and eggplant when they are young since they take up so much space later. I usually choose 21-60 day crops like radish, lettuce, Asian greens, or beets. they will be pulled before the tomatoes need the space and they stay relatively low so they don't compete for the same air space as the tomato. Beans, peas, and squash usually get their own place. Squash and melon vines will try to go over the trees if you don't watch them.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

bri80

Interplanting rarely helps anything, in my opinion, and usually harms. It's not just light you have to worry about, but soil moisture, nutrients, and just plain-old growing space. Roots need to grow into new soil just like leaves need to grow into new above-ground space for the plant to be at optimum health.

It can seem like a great idea to save space, but you'll probably end up with two failed/stunted crops instead of one thriving crop.

Plus like someone else pointed out, peas are cool-weather crops and tomatoes are warm weather crops.

kareng

Hi - Good advice, I decided to plant them separately, it's hot now tho so I am not sure how well they will do. They have flowers on them at least :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”