NickBaker
Newly Registered

New Gardener... Can someone tell me what this is please?

Hi there,

I'm new to the gardening scene. Bought my first home with a greenhouse which I intended demolishing, however, I started growing a few bits and pieces and now have the 'gardening bug'!

A few months ago I planted a load of cucumber, chilli, onion, potatoes and tomatoes etc. My father-in-law to be put a grow bag in the greenhouse with 'some tomato and red and yellow bell pepper' seeds in it (although he can't remember exactly what was in there).

All the plants are growing well and the greenhouse is looking great. However whilst I have been able to identify most plants, there's one that is growing incredibly well from the grow bag (it was he first seed to take) and I fear that it may actually be a weed!!!

If someone could take a look at the attached photographs and provide a little advice, I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick :)
Attachments
IMG_2055.JPG
IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG

thanrose
Greener Thumb

That's a Chenopodium sp. Common names would be goosefoot or lamb's quarters. The leaves will feel a little powdery. It will reseed prolifically. Yes, most people would think it's a nuisance weed. Not me, but you will have a ton of seedlings from everywhere if you don't pull and trash it right away.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Or just be sure you cut off and trash all those seedheads to keep it from spreading so quickly.

Lamb's quarters is aka wild spinach and it is very edible and nutritious. very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Niacin, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.It has lots of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. Compared to spinach, it is lower in sodium and higher in fiber. It is higher than spinach in Vitamin A and several B vitamins. It has three times the calcium of spinach.

Eat your weeds! :D

applestar
Mod

Those fuzzy flowers and young seedpods are truly yummy in soup or mixed in with hot rice. Once the seeds mature they are too hard for quick/brief cooking though they can be used like amaranth.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You taught me something new (again! :) ) applestar. Lamb's quarter seeds in rice. It sounds good. I don't so far have any lamb's quarter growing wild here, but I will keep watching for it. (I'm the only gardener I know who actually digs up weeds by the roadside and brings them home! :) )

applestar
Mod

You haven't tried it before? Oh, definitely -- try and let us know what you think. I really like it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”