Carleyarchibald
Newly Registered

2 plants per transplant - help!

I bought 6pack transplants (peas, beans, cucumbers) from my local nursery and a lot of them have 2 plants growing per spot, some even have 3. I have planted them in my garden and most seem to be not doing well- should I cut the smaller of the two down? If they are doing well, should I just leave them? Thanks

bri80

The peas you could potentially leave. The cucumbers absolutely have to be thinned to one plant per location. The beans I would thin, too, personally.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You say: " most seem to be not doing well-"

This is more likely a matter of soil fertility and water availability. I would not worry about thinning these, but do fertilize and water well.

Peas, beans and cucumbers are best planted from seed. Plant the seed where the plants can grow. No transplanting! Really the only things that need to be started early and then transplanted are tomatoes and peppers.

imafan26
Mod

I agree with James, peas, beans and cucumbers are easy to grow from seed and germinate in a week or 10 days. You can separate seedlings but you do have to be careful. If you do buy seedlings younger is better. If you go for the big ones they may be potbound and stunted and if they are already flowering they are too old and won't give you much. Prepare the soil well before you plant. Add some compost and a starter fertilyzer beforehand if you did not get a soil test. I prefer to soil test first since I only want to put in the fertilizer I need. For things that need a trellis put in the trellis at the same time you plant.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”