MrScherrer
Newly Registered

wind damage

Hello,

Recently in Edmonton Alberta we had a bit of a wind storm. I planted a vegetable garden for the first time this year and so far most of it seemed to be growing quite well. my potato plants are about 18" tall and nice and bushy. However the wind storm layed them all down. They didn't break off or anything though. Should I be staking them back up now? or will they stand back up on their own? Any helpful tips are appreciated. Right now its quite upsetting to see them all flat like they are. The wind also did a number on my few corn stocks I managed to sprout and ripped my only pumpkin I managed to germinate right out of the ground :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Prop the corn stalks back up and hill the ground around them to help keep them that way. The potato vines will be fine and will gradually come back up on their own.

MrScherrer
Newly Registered

That makes me feel better, Thanks.

applestar
Mod

With the potatoes, the flattening out may have exposed the base of the plant where the tubers will grow and as you know, you don't want them to see the sun.

So it might be a good idea to pile up a bit more soil mixed with mulch to bury the bottom few inches of the plant (I like using a mixture of leaves and pine needles, straw and moderate amount of well dried green mulch like hay or grass clippings work well, too) let the rest raise up and grow on their own.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nasty wind!

The potatoes will be fine. No need to stake them. It is the usual practice to hill up the potatoes a bit once the vines bloom. This is to protect the developing tubers from seeing any sunlight. If the tubers get sunlight on them they turn green and become bitter.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”