SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Chop and Drop

I have been using oregano as a living mulch as a test in two of my raised beds, this is the second year and so far so good. I let the oregano get to a certain height and do a chop and drop. I leave some grow tall and go to flower, so far it seems to be working out pretty good. The weeds seem to be overcome by the oregano.

I need a good garden knife that can be left out in the weather, blade needs to be around 10" or so, I was thinking about a lettuce knife but think it may have a problem cutting some oregano stems that get a bit thick and woody.

I cant use a hand sicle because when I do the chop and drop I need to incorporate a sawing/slicing motion, I really cant swing a sicle between the plants,

Any ideas?

Shanghaisky
Cool Member

SQWIB wrote:I need a good garden knife that can be left out in the weather,
Well, I don't have a specific knife in mind, but to leave out in the weather, I would think stainless steel would be a good option? Maybe this is a little overkill, but you get the idea... https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel- ... B01DN2N42W :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Get a good butcher knife with a carbon steel blade and a wooden handle.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar
Mod

I agree weeding sickle is sometimes too big and awkward to wield for harvesting, but you can't beat the (supersharp and easily sharpened) curved blade. I have a horihori, but it's not sharp enough for what you are talking about -- more for cutting (unwanted) roots. And a straight blade is ergonomically awkward for mass harvesting, though serrated one might work out better.

I've been eye-ing this one :()

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-suppli ... 18&start=0
Serrated Greens Knife - 4" Blade
4" stainless steel blade with narrow serrations for cutting greens.
It's meant for greens so might not be strong enough for oregano though.... My issue is my Japanese sickle has oval wooden handle which allows some control over the handle rotating in your hand on the pull stroke when cutting something that is tough, and this one has a round handle

bri80

I'm confused by this concept. Aren't you worried about competition from the oregano in the root zone? What is the gain from suppressing weeds (competitors with your veggies) if you're replacing it with another competitor? Competition for sunlight is only half the battle - the other half is underground and can't be cut back as easily. Is oregano very shallow-rooted?

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm raining on your parade, genuinely curious.

imafan26
Mod

I usually use hand pruners and loppers to cut smaller branches in the garden and to cut herbs like rosemary and oregano. I do like the serrated sickles. They are very handy, but it is true while they can get in some tight spaces they need a minimum amount of room to manueuver, so do the loppers. I wouldn't leave any of these tools out in the rain. They stil need to be cleaned and oiled afterwards.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

bri80 wrote:I'm confused by this concept. Aren't you worried about competition from the oregano in the root zone? What is the gain from suppressing weeds (competitors with your veggies) if you're replacing it with another competitor? Competition for sunlight is only half the battle - the other half is underground and can't be cut back as easily. Is oregano very shallow-rooted?

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm raining on your parade, genuinely curious.

There doesn't seem to be any competing for nutrients.

I was intrigued by this article by Dr. Elaine Ingham and decide to try a living mulch in my gardens. https://www.soilfoodweb.com/FAQ.html

I have learned over the years to research, then to try different approaches and not just take the most adopted means of doing something, for example, most folks say that peppers do not like wet feet, well I have 6 plants sitting in pots submerged in a veggie filter that drains into my Koi pond and they are doing better than some of my raised bed peppers.

The oregano is nice because I can chop it real low and it grows into a nice mulch/carpet, I can let some grow tall and flower for beneficials. It also makes the bed a no till bed and keeps the soil aerated, I could even walk on it without compacting or damaging the soil, It also brings in more beneficial insects, regular mulch cant do either.
I am experimenting with creeping thyme in a few beds also. I don't till and come fall and spring I just top dress right over top of the oregano, come planting time I just plant right inside the oregano, so far it has worked out pretty good.

I just have to keep the oregano short around the peppers until the peppers are above the oregano, here's a picture that shows the oregano.
By next season it should cover the entire bed, it is a bit more maintenance doing the chop and drop until the plants are above the oregano but there's almost no weeding at this point, if there are weeds I just chop and drop right on top of them.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I ordered the Hori Hori, I'll update this post after a few weeks of use.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Loving my new Hori Hori Garden Knife.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”