Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Is anyone growing Rhubarb in 100 degree weather?

I planted 3 Rhubarb plants under a shade tree so they get morning sun then shade after lunch. 1 plant died then it grew 1 new leaf it died now it is going another new leaf. 2nd plant was looking very good now leaves have dried up and stalks have turned to mush. 3rd plant 1 leaf died, 1 more leaf drying up, 3 leaves remain.

I bought 6 new Rhubarb plants. I have been keeping the 6 plants watered I leave them out all night and in the morning sun. About 11 am they are still looking good by 12 noon leaves are wilted bad so I move them to full shade & about 7 pm they have recovered.

Today plants got morning sun until about 12 noon then get moved to full shade rest of the day.

My plan is to plant them soon in the garden and put some type shade cover over them so they get morning sun until about 11 am then shade the rest of the day. At the moment I am doing, Research and Development trying to learn what works. Not sure this will work soon it will be 100 degrees for 3 months, July, August and most of Sept and very little rain.

JONA
Greener Thumb

This should be a good one to watch Gary.
Rhubarb is so thirsty and inclined to bolt when it feels stressed.
Good luck.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm growing rhubarb. We just hit 90 degrees, but will likely be at or above 90 for the rest of the summer, if last year was any indication. We rarely hit 100 here, but had pretty many days that were 97/98 last year.
IMG_1759.JPG
The rhubarb is the huge leaves in the background of this photo, along the outer curved edge of this bed. (you can see better if you click to enlarge) I just harvested a bunch and froze it. (In case anyone is curious, the left hand straight edge of the bed has asparagus, right straight edge has strawberry and there's one artichoke plant in the middle.)

There's a row of trees along the western fence edge, so it gets a lot of afternoon shade.

Incidentally Intellicast for Murfreesboro TN (zip 37128) says your weather is about like mine: 95 tomorrow, then 80's through 6/21, then 91, 93, 90 for the rest of the ten day forecast. Thunderstorms tomorrow, Thurs, Sun, Mon.

john gault
Green Thumb

I don't do rhubarb, but I still have some broccoli growing in my yard, which is surprising since they supposedly hate hot weather. The vast majority of my broccoli are dried seeds from this year's crop, but I can't believe how many new flower stalks and green leaves I still have from my dozen or so plants. BTW, I didn't plant my broccoli this year, I planted a couple plants last year and this year's crop was from left over seeds from last year. I expect to have a lot more next year. And the birds love those seeds O:)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I'm growing rhubarb. We just hit 90 degrees, but will likely be at or above 90 for the rest of the summer, if last year was any indication. We rarely hit 100 here, but had pretty many days that were 97/98 last year.
IMG_1759.JPG
The rhubarb is the huge leaves in the background of this photo, along the outer curved edge of this bed. (you can see better if you click to enlarge) I just harvested a bunch and froze it. (In case anyone is curious, the left hand straight edge of the bed has asparagus, right straight edge has strawberry and there's one artichoke plant in the middle.)

There's a row of trees along the western fence edge, so it gets a lot of afternoon shade.

Incidentally Intellicast for Murfreesboro TN (zip 37128) says your weather is about like mine: 95 tomorrow, then 80's through 6/21, then 91, 93, 90 for the rest of the ten day forecast. Thunderstorms tomorrow, Thurs, Sun, Mon.
We have basically the same weather, it was 98 most of last summer, 99 several times. A few years ago it was 107 for several weeks and 109 a few days. I think my Rhubarb plants probably need to slowly get use to full sun. I am going to re pot them today in larger pots then set them in full shade right next to full sun. Maybe in about a week or so I can move them so they get 1 hour of sun for a while then move them so they get 2 hrs, then 3 hrs, then 4 hrs, and so on to get them accustom to sun. My grandparents had a 20 ft row of Rhubarb plants in southern Illinois they had 95 degree weather in the summer. Rhubarb grows wild in Michigan we saw it in the grocery store last week a large bundle was $1.99. Rhubarb in TN is $1 per stalk. Rainbow how many plants do you have and how close are they planted? How much water does it need?
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have four large plants from last year and a couple smaller ones that I added this year. They are planted close enough that their leaves touch. That helps shade the ground. Along with the mulching I do, the close spacing helps keep the soil cooler, conserve water and suppress weeds.

jasonvanorder

I think you saw the pics I posted last year of my rhubarb. Here in Michigan we get hot times but average is usually in the 80's. They get full sun till very late in the evening and never had an issue.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My rhubarb is in full sunshine. The biggest trick is keeping the weeds and grass out of the area so it doesn't have that competition. It gets watered once a week. In the spring you can pull all the nice stalks for eating. Come July 4, you must let it grow up and no more cutting till fall. You gotta let it have these leaves during summer so it can build the roots and store energy for next years crop.

Ya, it can get in the 100s here , but the upper 90s more likely.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My TN garden is a swamp during the rainy seasons Jan to June wonder if I should hill the soil up so the Rhubarb roots are not in the mud. If I dig a hole for the roots plants will be in mud for several months before summer comes and soil dries out. Plants were in the shade at the garden center when I put them in full sun for 5 hours it killed all the leaves. I think roots will grow new leaves soon maybe I need shade cloth for a while until plants get accustom to the hot sun.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I found a Lady at the Farmers Market that grows Rhubarb. She said, it is very hard to grow Rhubarb in TN, too much rain, clay soil will not drain, too much humidity, sun is hotter than Michigan where it grows wild. It grows best in a well drained raised bed with lots of sand an organic material. It won't grow more than 3 years.

I now have all my Rhubarb plants in 2 gallon flower pots at the moment with the correct potting soil mix setting in full sun until about 2 pm. Soon as I get a permanent location for them Rhubarb gets planted there.

I made a Rhubarb Cobbler after lunch with my Grandmother Recipe, WOW this is so good with a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”