pointer80

input on best fungal control method

Hello all, I have some tomato plants that are having signs of leaf spots and also I am sure I will also be dealing with powdery mildew on some of my garden plants before it's over with also. My question is I have seen several methods to treat both diseases but what is really the best method to use with good results? I have heard of the baking soda spray and also neem oil spray and milk spray for powdery mildew. What is the best method to use for both fungal disorders? Thanks all in advance.

bri80

WRT leaf spot diseases on tomatoes, try to keep the foliage dry. Don't overhead water which gets the leaves wet. If rainy conditions thwart you, there's a product called Serenade Garden Spray that works well.

WRT powdery mildew, in my experience powdery mildew happens. It usually kills plants that are exhausted after a long, fruitful summer, but it can hit any weak or stressed plant. If it kills your plants after a long, fruitful summer - who cares? The plant is done, throw it in the compost. If the plant is weak or stressed for another reason, fix what is weakening/stressing it and the powdery mildew will not be a problem. With shallow-rooted plants like squash, I think what often happens is under-watering and dehydration stressing the plant till it succumbs to powdery mildew. The gardener incorrectly thinks withholding water will help stop the spread of fungal disease, and worsens the issue. Again, watering more (but watering the soil, not the foliage!) is actually the solution.

Just my $.02.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

all good suggestions also hydrogen peroxide, sprayed straight from the bottle (which is a 3% solution).

All of these are best used preventatively or as soon as you see disease signs. Remove affected leaves and treat everything else. Once a fungal disease is well established, it is difficult to deal with by any means.

I don't know if one is really better than the other. Since it needs to be repeated every week or two, try different ones and see if you can tell which works best for you.

applestar
Mod

1) healthy stress-free plants

2) treatments can be grouped into
2a) fungicide=chemical or natural kills fungal spores and/or growths on contact
2b) probiotic=microbial action (benign squatters takes up space/block new spores from landing/taking hold, or predatory microbes)
2c) physical barrier=prevents spores from landing by killing or blocking
2d) plant immune system enhancer=supplemental nutrients, micronutrients and/or plant hormones

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”