pointer80

problem with bean plants

I am having some problems with my green bean plants. Anybody know whats going on with them and how to treat. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2867.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG

bri80

Looks like some insect damage. I wouldn't stress too much, they'll likely start out-growing it like crazy. The ones with big healthy leaves already should be fine. I haven't grown beans in awhile but I'd always get some damage/losses like that - just plant enough seed that if you lose a few, you don't care.

imafan26
Mod

Something is definitely chewing. It could be slugs and snails or it could be the beginning of caterpillars. A few holes are tolerable. Put out slug bait for the snails and check under the leaves for other pests like caterpillars, aphids and whiteflies. If you have a good garden patrol they will take care of most infestations as long as they are not heavy. Hose off the bottom of the leaves regularly and pick off any caterpillars that you see. Beetles will come out in the late afternoon. A bright light and reflective mulch helps with that. Having a lot of geckos and insect eating birds around does too.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Do a Google search for "Diatomaceous Earth" . This a natural occuring product that will discourage critters. It is non hazardous to you or your plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”