Gary350
Super Green Thumb

BEANS. First harvest of the year.

DINNER, 6 lbs of Blue Lake Bush Beans. I need a Ham bone.

Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Different areas, different harvest times. My green beans are already done and pulled from the garden. I harvested a lot of them before they finally petered out and I pulled the plants. Same with soybeans that I use for Edamame. I harvested close to a 5 gallon bucket of them, but you pick them all at once. I blanched them in very salty water, let them cool and packed them in quart freezer bags and popped them in the freezer for later consumption.

Truth is, my garden is lying pretty much empty and idle right now with only a couple trellises of Japanese Yard Long Beans and some cucumbers-----------and they are fading fast in our heat and humidity. I also have several pepper plants and a few eggplant that are doing fine. Since I did a whole house exterior paint job on my house this spring, I didn't get into the garden like I normally have in years past. Now I'll just wait until I put in the fall stuff and start from scratch in late September, early October. Besides, it's just too dang hot to be out in the garden in summers here.

That is a very nice batch of beans though, and I do miss mine fresh out the garden even though I do have some pickled and others cooked down with some onions and ham in the freezer. So all is not lost.

imafan26
Mod

I've got some beans in the frig, but I only got a couple of pounds from my 9 plants. I am letting the beans that are left mature to make seed for next time. The snow peas are also done and I am letting the plant make more seeds.

It looks like a good harvest.

wisconsindead

Nice harvest! I am hoping for something similar. This is my first real attempt at growing them.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh WOW! Very nice. I can't get much to grow this year. Its been wet and cool and windy. Here it is the 13th of June and still raining today. Temperature is 47 degrees.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”