Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Very Low Maintenance Garden.

This is my low maintenance garden there is almost nothing to do. I till about 5 times every other day in spring to kill all weeds and grass then I plant. When plants are 1 ft tall I run the tiller through the garden fast just to kill grass and weeds. When plants are 2 ft tall I till again just deep enough to break the surface and kill unwanted plants. The loose soil on the surface acts like mulch to keep away weeds and grass and hold moisture. 35 ft x 60 ft garden is looking a bit naked this year with the large open spots of water melons and cantaloupes. 25 tomato plants, blue lake bush bean 400 seeds in a 3 ft by 20 ft patch, 5 rows of corn 20 ft long, 4 cantaloupe, 6 water melons, 4 bell peppers, 5 zuchinni, 9 Rhubarb, potatoes, kale, chard, celery, Russian red lettuce, Napa, Bok Choy, lots of onions, garlic and herbs. Beans need to be harvested tomorrow. Looks like we will have 6 zuchinni in about a week. We should be getting about 20 to 30 lbs of tomatoes every day July to Oct we always can 100 pints and 20 quarts in mason jars every year. Corn should be ready to harvest in about a month, I might plant something new where corn was. We should have melons by August. Kale, chard, Bok Choy are keeping us busy trying to eat it. Potatoes look like they are ready to dig up. Bell peppers do not do well in 100 degree heat about Oct when it gets cooler 4 plants should make about 200 bell peppers. The boxes are not raised bed they keep the small dog and cat out until plants get larger. I have 14 bird houses, birds eat all the bugs I never have bugs in the garden. Cat and dog keep away animals, snakes, turtles, rabbits, deer. I have 2 squirrel families with 8 babies they never bother my garden. My yard & garden are full of moles they eat, cut worms, termites, ants, bugs of all kinds and never eat the garden. Melons will soon fill the naked spots, summer heat will kill the zuchinni squash. I did not plant sweet potatoes this year they are extremely easy to grow I needed the space for cantaloupes. 3 sweet potato plants will make about 100 lb of potatoes. 50 years ago I worked very hard every day in the garden but now I have learned how not to, compared to what I use to do my garden is 98% easier. Now we have time to vacation for 2 weeks come home and garden is still doing good. CLICK the photos they get larger.

Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Gary,

Your garden is lovely and obviously very productive.

Awesome that you encourage natural predators to keep pest under control. Personally I would have issues with moles. I have badly sprained my ankle stepping in a mole run. :cry:

BTW - Cans on rebar stakes? To keep birds away?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Gary,:

NO. Those rusty metal stakes are almost invisible to see they r same color as the soil, CAN makes stakes easier to see and prevent bending over and getting an eye poked out.
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

:hehe: Goof idea.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
ElizabethB wrote:Gary,:

NO. Those rusty metal stakes are almost invisible almost the same color at the soil, CAN is so stakes can be seen easier and to prevent bending over and getting an eye poked out.

Oh, something tells me there was a very good reason why you came up with that idea. Like wearing an eye patch for a few days while your poked eye healed. :>

bri80

I am envious of how much space you have. One day I hope to have more space!

imafan26
Mod

Looks like a very productive garden. What you are doing works.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looking good!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”