BobK

My Cucumber Plants are Wilting/Dying

Please see the attached picture. I got them from the local garden store and planted about 2 weeks ago. I've had mostly success in the past, with maybe a couple plants doing this, but this year they all look to be doing it.

I'm in Massachusetts and we've had a relatively cold/wet spring. Could that be it?

I have some 5-10-5 that I've yet to apply - might that help or hurt?

Thanks
Attachments
wilting cukes.JPG

bri80

BobK wrote: I'm in Massachusetts and we've had a relatively cold/wet spring. Could that be it?
Probably has something to do with it. What are your night time lows right now? Cucumbers prefer it not to be below 50* at night.

Also garden center plants tend to be weak and of general poor quality. You should always grow your own from seed, if possible. Also you haven't separated your plants - you have multiple plants growing at each location (not to mention each location is probably too close as well). Cucumbers can get fairly big and need space. Pinch off the weakest plants at each location until you have one left at each (or you might be better off just replanting from seed once your temps are warm enough).

Don't know if fertilizer will help without knowing what you added to the soil before planting.

mikedebo
Newly Registered

I'm in Saco, Maine and thou my cukes are alot larger than yours, they did the same thing. They were fine for the first 2-3 weeks of transplant, but then slowly turned yellow, wilted and died.

It's this unseasonable constant WET and cold we have had for the last month.

If your soil is always as wet as it looks, I'm thinking its cold soil temps, plus too much moisture.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Want cukes? Get some seed and plant outside in full sun where it can grow for the season. Try several varieties. Have fun!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”