Cynthia2017

Spinach

Should I pinch these off?
Attachments
IMG_8832.JPG

applestar
Mod

It is starting to bolt. I don't know if it will do any good to pinch off the flowershoot after Spinach has decided it's too hot. Here, once the weather turns to summer, that's it for Spinach.

But perhaps in a cooler summer areas, they will keep going? I do think it might be better to succession sow more Spinach seeds if you are able to grow them through the summer or at least a little longer.

bri80

Yeah, time to harvest before they turn bitter.

Cynthia2017

Thank you for the help
That's so sad :(. It's barely had time to grow
Is there any point in putting more seeds out; we haven't had hot days yet

applestar
Mod

Try Swiss chard instead. :wink:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'll throw in a 2nd on the Swiss Chard applestar mentioned. It is a very good substitute since it can thrive in warm weather and it is actually much larger than spinach. I use it when I make a veggie lasagna to go with the meat based lasagna I make when having a party since some folks would rather the veggie variety. I also use it in salads, soups and stir fry.

Edited to add this: I plant a couple varieties each year. I like the Fordhook Giant for its size and texture and I really like the Bright Lights variety that has plants with yellow, orange, red, and almost purple stems with leaves that vary in color. This makes a salad very interesting and colorful.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pick those nice big leaves and enjoy it in your salad or cook it up. However you like spinach, but it is time to harvest this. Plant some more if you wish.

Yes, do plant some Chard. Also beet greens are excellent.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I always say "if you can only plant one thing, plant chard!" Mine that I started from seed LAST spring (2016) is STILL going strong. It's a biennial, so some of it is bolting now, but some is still going and going. It went through hellacious hot, dry summer last year, through mild winter, cool wet spring and has been just insanely productive.

Plant your spinach again in the fall. You can do one planting in early fall to harvest in late fall and a second planting in late fall to over-winter and start growing again in late winter. It does much better planted in cooler weather, instead of when the days are getting longer and hotter.

Cynthia2017

Thank you all!
I will get the spinach picked & some swish chard out when the wind & rain stops.
I don't know what I'd do without you :)

Cynthia2017

Can I put the swisschard in containers?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Another thing that one can do with beet greens, chard, kale and spinach greens is chop them up and put them in bread dough. It's wonderful. Saw a chef on tv do that.

I'm not an expert on container gardening, but I grew some wonderful lettuce last winter in my home made planter box inside the porch. I would expect one could grow chard in a container too.

bri80

Cynthia2017 wrote:Can I put the swisschard in containers?
I would not recommend it.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

We both love spinach but it is definitely a cool weather crop. DITTO on the chard recommendations.

If you have never had beet greens you have not lived. My absolute favorite green. Beet greens are frequently over looked. Remove any tough stems. Rinse well and allow to drip in a colander for a few minutes.. Cook with only the water clinging to the leaves. Season with sea salt, fresh ground pepper and butter. Prepare yourself for a heavenly experience. O:)

OK - now I need beet greens.

applestar
Mod

Swiss chard has HUGE fibrous root system. You would probably need 3-5 gallon container PER plant.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"We both love spinach but it is definitely a cool weather crop. DITTO on the chard recommendations. "

Spinach is definitely a cool weather crop. Temps hit 80's and spinach is gone. Chard gets planted in cool weather and is frost tolerant, but it just goes and goes. We had a fierce hot summer last year with daily highs over 90 for 3 months straight. Chard hung in there through all of that. It was looking pretty peaked and not producing much, but it came right back as soon as things cooled off.

You understand beet greens essentially ARE chard. Swiss chard and beets scientifically are both Beta vulgaris subspecies vulgaris. Same species and subspecies. Chard is a variety that has been bred to produce more leaves and beets have been bred to produce more root.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”