rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Weird Weather

I've only been growing corn a couple years, but IME it always makes tassels first, then it makes silks when the ears are very tiny.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I never planted Ambrosia before. I never saw sweet corn make silks & tassels before making ears. There is usually some type of small ear before tassels. 68/72 day corn it has 14 more days to make ears with kernels. Wait and see. I have been planting Silver Queen for 25 years maybe I forgot how other corn grows. LOL This plant is only 4 ft tall, Silver Queen is usually 6 to 7 ft tall by now. There is 40 acres of field corn 1/4 mile up the road I am going to start watching it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for sharing the pic. Watch and see what happens?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ambrosia is the corn I plant. It always does good for me. Just give it some time.

You say 68/72 days? Well it is my experience that is the time it takes in the area the seed was produced. Take it to another area, different elevation, soil, wind, etc. and it may take longer.

Yes, it is good to always plant 3 rows of corn. I space them 30 inches and plant with a seeder that drops seed about every 8 inches. I plug every other hole so it only drops every 16 inches. Depending on the seed it may drop one or two seeds each drop. I don't thin, just whatever comes grows.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

My Ambrosia usually gets to around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 feet tall. I can usually see tassels on shorter corn too, but by the time the whole plant tops out it ends up about right. I space mine differently than Jal, but the result is about 2 square feet allowed per plant. Yeah, 68 days seems awfully short. My Ambrosia package says at least 75 days.

Getting back to weird weather, forecast for Mon, Tues, Wed is for 100+ degrees. Yet, June 13 we had a low of 27 degrees. Lost 2 tomato plants, some freshly sprouted squash, a few pepper plants; potatoes got hit again, some bean sprouts lost, and even a couple of corn plants are crunchy now from being frozen. I'm dangerously close now to not having enough time for winter squash to mature before fall frosts.

All this talk of planting after the last frost is well and good, but what if there is no last frost?! So after the coming heat wave, is the jet stream gonna take another dive and freeze more stuff? Sigh...

Luckily, at my lower elevation garden it didn't freeze. :)

applestar
Mod

I can NOT imagine low of 27°F in June. How heartbreaking! :cry:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I can NOT imagine low of 27°F in June. How heartbreaking! :cry:

June, I have a hard time imagining that temperature in January here in the deep south. :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I can NOT imagine low of 27°F in June. How heartbreaking! :cry:
It snowed in Michigan 3 days ago family sent us pictures on the cell phone. They had 1" of snow in Mackinaw City where we camped on the beach a week ago in 78 degree weather.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't need any more rain the garden is still mud from the 2" flash flood we had 2 days ago. Hurricane is on the way forecast is 8" of rain Thursday & Friday. Yesterday forecast was 4" of rain Thursday, sunny and nice Fri, Sat and Sun. I am pretty sure it will rain but not sure we will get 4" each day. As the storm gets closer the forecast gets more accurate they can walk outside look up to see what is really happening. LOL. National News never gets our local weather correct. 1 of the local stations down graded the storm to about 2" Thursday, less rain on Friday, mostly sunny on Sat.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.weaver.50 ... 609835656/
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"forecast is 8" of rain Thursday & Friday." Where do you get your forecasts? I'd love to see it.

Intellicast forecasts about an inch and a half of rain total over Thurs and Fri for both you and me:

https://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USTN0356

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Sunny and nice today, sky is blue, 1 cloud in the sky. We only got 1/2 inch of rain from the hurricane. I think TV channel 5 weather has more accurate weather than channel 2. Forecast for today 100% change of spotty scattered showers, sunny and nice all day. We are packing up and going camping.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Maybe I should go camping too in the White Mountains and get out of this blazing heat!

Several 100+ days in a row. Things are surviving surprisingly well. But that probably has something to do with the fact that I'm watering well. Tomatoes have pretty much shut down on fruit set though they're blooming. It probably won't start up again til the summer rains. At that time the daytime temps go down and the humidity really helps.

Looks like some relief in sight for next Wed, Thurs, Fri. High 80's with some nights in the high 50's. At least no frost! To think I had a 27 degree freeze on June 13!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

65 degrees F and clear beautiful blue skies here this morning.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The corn is doing OK. Everything else got tromped with that late frost.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Well, photobucket is on a rampage. Guess we will have to look for other picture hosting options?

imafan26
Mod

My seeds did not germinate well last month. They were very slow and sparse. Some of the ones I was about to give up on are germinating now. Others nothing. July and August are not good planting months, but it is usually not this bad.

I grow silver queen corn too. Mine will get up to 8 ft but I use synthetic fertilizer and the tassels do come out before the ears and silks appear. The tassels do not mature until the silks emerge. The corn ears grow quickly and usually 10 days after the tassels appear my corn is just about ready to harvest. Silver queen takes about 80 days.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Something is wrong, we had no rain today.

jasonvanorder

Gary350 wrote:Something is wrong, we had no rain today.

We took it! Sorry we needed the rain up this way. Finally got more today. I apparently live in a bubble. About 90% of the rain coming towards me just splits and goes north and south of me leaving the lawn and garden high and dry till the sprinkler runs.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My garden this year is a disaster. I planted May 5 as usual then a month later we got a killing frost. The only thing that survived is the corn.l So starting over a month late. The weeds seem to be doing well though. Can't keep up with them. Most of my later planting did not come up. Some of the squash and melons did. It might be too late for them to make it though in this country. We usually get a killing frost the first week of September.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”