drh146
Cool Member

waiting for seeds on a bolted mustard plant..

I have some dragon tongue mustard greens (territorial seed) that I have let go to seed, as they are great flea beetle bait in my garden. The have formed green pods with the seeds inside, and I am wondering how long do I need to leave them in the ground until I can pull them and replant something different?
Since the pods have formed, is it enough to pull the plant but leave everything attached, and store until the pod (and everything else) turns brown and crispy? Or must I leave the plants in the ground until they are brown and crispy?
hope someone can help!
Thanks!

bri80

You should leave them until they ripen (mature and dry up) on the plant, but before they break open and spread seed on their own. You might get away with pulling them a little early but will probably get lower germination rates. Definitely don't pull them as soon as they set pods, they need some time to mature.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It takes a surprisingly long time. I let some lettuce and other greens set seeds, but it means leaving them taking up space for weeks and weeks after they have bolted and are not producing any more.

drh146
Cool Member

ugh, thats what I was afraid of. maybe its better just to buy some seeds..
thanks for the quick help!

applestar
Mod

If you let them mature, be on the look-out for finches. House Finches and Gold Finches are regular visitors and they LOVE mustard/kale/radish, etc. seeds. They can strip a stalk in one visit if they bring family and friends.

In the winter time, Pine Siskins, Red Poles, and Juncos also enjoy them.

bri80

I've heard of people digging the plants out and putting them somewhere out of the way, in a dry area of the yard, so they can free up their garden for the next thing. No idea how successful it'd be but if you have a weedy, dry spot somewhere it may be worth a try.

imafan26
Mod

I usually wait until the pods get brown and a little crispy but not so much that they open. I am letting my snow peas and beans fatten up some pods for seed now. When I harvested sunflower seeds it took over a month for the seed head to mature. If you pick it before the seeds have adequately dried, some of them won't be fully mature and if they are not dry enough, they have a greater chance of rotting.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”