pointer80

found a source for alpaca/llama manure

Hello all, I just located a place to get 3 year old alpaca/llama manure for $20.00 a pick up load. Do you think I can place this right on the veggie garden? I was going to top dress the garden with it and then drip irrigation and then straw mulch. What do you think? thanks.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I would say it depends on how the manure was kept for those 3 yrs. If it was turned periodically, sitting outside in a pile, I would guess it would be pretty much broken down by now. I got some manure this year that had been sitting out for a year from a horse owner and it was completely broken down. If it still has a strong smell of manure, it's probably still manure! Whether strong uncomposted manure just on the soil surface would harm the plants, don't know. Maybe depends on how thickly it is applied.

I lived in lower MI for some years on a small farm. When our neighbor across the road cleaned out his barn (say, every 2 or 3 yrs.), you knew by the odor he was doing it. I mean, the smell was sickening; enough to make you wretch. :eek: So, that old manure was not broken down even after a long time being in an anaerobic situation.

Amazing the variety of "designer" manures that are available these days. A man living on the road that goes into town here has zebras and buffalo (bison) grazing out in a field. He pushes the manure up into piles then later spreads it out on the field. I keep meaning to stop in and see if I can get any of it!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Best to spread manures on the field in the fall and let winter work it in.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”