NewRiverGeorge

Purslane Invasion

Hello all,

I am fighting an invasion that I cannot win. I have purslane running rampant in my garden and the more I weed/hoe it, the more it comes back. I will completely eradicate it (or so I think) and it's back the next day. Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop it??
Purslane.JPG
Thanks in advance!

NRG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hoeing it probably helps spread the seeds. The best thing you can do is carefully hand pull it. It is a spreading ground cover, so one plant covers a lot of space, so it takes less pulling than you might think. Find where the roots are and carefully dig them out. Then trash them! Even if the plant has no seeds at the time, it can ripen seeds up after it is pulled. Put the plants in a plastic bag and put in the trash. Then cover the cleared area with cardboard or heavy mulch. The purslane seeds can stay viable in the soil for years, but they need light to germinate. So keeping the soil covered helps prevent new seeds from germinating. No till methods help. Any time you till the ground you are bringing new purslane seeds up into the light to sprout.

Incidentally, you know it is edible? Very nutritious -- lots of vitamins A, C, and E and minerals and anti-oxidants and more omega 3's than any other leafy vegetable. And unlike many of what are called edible weeds, it is quite tasty, with some lemony overtones. I have a purslane potato salad recipe that I really like. So don't trash it, eat it! :)

jeff84

mulch. it doesn't survive long without sun. I use cardboard. AKA pizza boxes, and brown paper bags. wet it down or weight it down with stones so it stays put, if you have trouble with wind blowing it away. you might get some coming up inbetween, but it makes it easier to control for sure.

john gault
Green Thumb

Purslane is welcomed in my garden for the reasons listed by rainbow gardener. It produces tons of seeds per plant, each flower contains many seeds that are super viable, so hoeing into the ground does nothing to get rid of it.

My garden is so heavy with growth that I have to set aside areas for purslane to grow, because (like jeff84 says) purslane needs sun and lots of it; that is its Achilles heel. Take away its sun and it will stay away.

NewRiverGeorge

If I let it be...will it take over the other plants (tomatoes, corn, beets, carrots, half runner beans, peppers)??

applestar
Mod

I don't think deeper rooted plants you listed would be bothered once they are mature -- though purslane would be competition as seedlings. Just keep away from carrots and beets. Peppers if they are smaller plants with small shallow root systems.

Huh....but don't you mulch your tomatoes and peppers? Oh and don't you hill your corn?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That is one of those plants that if pulled will send down more roots anywhere it touches the ground. You must pull it and toss it in the garbage can. Send it to the landfill.

NewRiverGeorge

Will this act like a "living mulch" if I let it go?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”