Paul316
Newly Registered

Starting Spinach question

I planted Spinach last year by placing seeds in Dixie cups of Foxfarm seed mix, keeping them indoors and setting them on the windowsill. The results where great. I was wondering if anyone has ever used pots/planter to grow spinach and if they had success? Also anyone interested in sharing their spinach growing techniques I would be glad to hear from as spinach is my favorite plant to grow. Thanks

Matt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Mat and welcome to the HG!

I just plant my spinach seeds in the soil affter the last frost and my spinach does great. When it gets really warm though, spinach tends to bolt which means that it goes to seed so, enjoy it wheen it is up before August and late July.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I just ate the last of my winter spinach for dinner. :) Spinach lasagne... mmmmm.

Our winters are pretty mild - lows in the 20s high in the 50s or so. What I have are raised beds that are 3x3, and I have old windows that fit over them. I set the spinach pretty low in the beds, with dirt mounded higher in the corners and such, and leave the window on top as a sort of greenhouse. Worked super well.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Winter spinach and Kales, Swiss Chard and a few other plants are very good winter plant because you can even dig them out from several feet of snow and they will be perfectly good to eat. And actually become sweeter with the cold.

We don't get much snow at all here so, I don't have to worry about having to dig winter crops out but a lot of people do it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”