Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Design help / PETC competitor

I've just transplanted my potted tomatoes (Romas) to the ground, and either I'm stupid (most probable) or need glasses (also likely), but I didn't have as much room left between the peas and the tomatoes as I thought I would. The Spaghetti Squash, bush beans, and the burgundy red onions are also quite close, and the bell peppers will also be when they finally come up (though peas will probably be dying off by then). Without digging things up.. how can I help things not to get tangled up and smother each other? See image for visuals of layout (dark spots are some water left over from watering freshly transplanted tomatoes)

I am thinking I can train the peas onto a trellis or string to keep them away from the maters, and the maters and peppers should be okay to hang out in a big conglomerate of cage together, right? As for the squash, it has a lot of room to go vining out away from the bed onto a tarped area in the corner of the fenced garden, but I don't know a way to make sure it all goes that way? The beans are bush beans, so as long as they don't get too unruly a little staking should be enough to keep them contained..? Everything is just so compacted, I hope it will be okay. To make matters worse the soil is not too great. I have a few inches of humus and composted manure on top of terrible rocky sticky brown clay mud. After several days of on and off rain the clay is quite compacted. This is my first season in this (previously used but has been laying fallow) garden so I am working to make the soil better. Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_9627.JPG

imafan26
Mod

If you are using square foot gardening and you are going to train and prune the plants to stay in their foot it is possible. I don't usually cage two tomatoes in one, but I plant my tomatoes in 18 gallon tubs outside of the garden because they take up too much space in my small garden. The squash can be allowed to go out of the box. Bush beans 1 foot between them. Peas - trellis?
Peppers should have 1-2 ft between them. They are another thing I usually keep in pots. They can start in gallons and as I pot up or they get bigger I can easily separate them more.

I would have the trellis put in permanently on the north end of the plot and plant whatever you need to trellis under it. It is better to put the trellis in early and that way you have a stand in for the plants so you know you have already reserved the space.

I grew peas and beans in a pot once. I thought they would co exist. They did not, the beans won. Don't expect your plants to be nice about sharing a trellis. You either have to give them free reign or you have to reign them in to keep them in their place.

It is not too bad, but I cannot plant that close with my humidity, the tomatoes would need at least 3 ft between them. I don't plant peppers together, again because of disease, but I don't waste space either. I plant pepper in the middle and surround it while it is young with other plants like radishes when peppers are small or beets or onions. Beans and peppers don't always like each other and space the pepper plants farther apart.

The tomatoes might be better in a large pot. They have a large root system and a few inches of soil will make the roots go sideways instead of down.

I don't usually plant in compost and manure. It would be better to either build above the soil or at least work the amendments into the soil rather than just on top. You don't need a fancy edge just mound some good planting soil mix so that it is at least 6-8 inches deep. That being said if your pick your plants well, there are a few that are good sod busters and can work with rocky soil like the squash.

applestar
Mod

I plant things close and deal with them as they grow, so the planting space is not concerning me.

But I'm noticing a few things that I must point out. (I can't help it :roll: )

I noted several times already that you mentioned you sowed pepper SEEDS. You mention here that they "haven't sprouted yet" I am worried that this would make them too late for you. I start pepper seeds indoors BEFORE I start tomato seeds. Usual recommendation is 10-12 weeks before planting out (which is about 1-2 weeks after tomatoes). I think you should go buy some started pepper plants while they are still available in stores in good condition if you are counting on harvesting peppers. If these do sprout and grow -- if you still want to -- they may not be ready to harvest by the end of the season. At that point, you can decide if you want to join me in overwintering them in the house.

Peas and bush beans -- you need to plant WAY more than that for decent harvest unless you are planning to just give one or two to your babies as they come in. (I've done that ...often actually -- have only just enough harvest to give my DD's) Peas especially need to be planted in terms of ROWS -- failing miserably this year myself :( Bush beans are more prolific, but only produce in one or two...maybe three flushes then done. So keep sowing more patches every couple of weeks if you want a lot. Freeze in zip lock as they come in until enough for a meal if you want. That works really well.

Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Well, I've had a think about it considering your wonderful advice, and I think I'll pull the peas and beans, and if peppers come up, pull them. Maybe leave the onions when they come up.. though I don't know how well they'll do in this soil. The squash is far enough away from the tomatoes that it should be fine, though I will pull one as two are crowded. In all the empty space I think I'll sow my next round of greens, I guess, if anything will make it. Temps are still nice and low around here (boo for tomatoes but yay for greens), but I don't know when that might change.

I have a better idea of how to plan next season, possibly for the fall crop (depending on what I can plant then other than more greens..). Definitely need more room, and more organic material tilled in. The soil was disappointing to see at first, but seemed better when it was dry and I was working it. As soon as it got wet, though, it's turned into a sticky mess. I brought in almost 500lbs of composted manure/humus mix, and frankly I was just out of time and energy (hand turning everything) so sat it on top of everything in a good few inch layer. I think the greens and the carrots and beets will be okay, but we will see what happens to the rest. Live and learn...Thanks for all your advice and help!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”