Cape Cod Bobbi
Newly Registered

Who is eating my asparagus and what can I do?

I have little bugs with yellow spots eating my asparagus as soon as t comes up, help
Attachments
IMG_2676.JPG

applestar
Mod

Asparagus beetles. Later there will be grey slug like lumps on the fronds which are the larvae. The beetles scuttle and try to fly away but not too hard to catch and destroy. Same for lumpy larvae. If too tedious, I sometimes cut off the frond they are on.

After the fronds die in the fall-winter, be sure to cut to the ground and remove because they over winter in the dead stalk.

Birds, spiders, baby praying mantises, and other predators sometimes help to control the larvae.

imafan26
Mod

Leetchi
Newly Registered

Try mixing one cup of newly opened cooking oil with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid and mix well. Keep this concentrate in a well sealed container in a cool dry place. To use add one teaspoon of well mixed mixture to one pint of water in a spray bottle. Shake well and drench your plants whenever necessary. I live in sub tropical South Africa on the East coast and it's working wonderfully on all my vegetables. Hope this will help :D :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A little diatomaceous earth powder sprinkled on the area might keep the critters off?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”