lakngulf
Greener Thumb

First Fruits!! Fantastic

This is the first time ever for ripe tomatoes in May. Sweet corn and Cherokee Purples for supper.

applestar
Mod

imafan26
Mod

How did you like the Cherokee Purple. I tried them once but although they were large, they were kinda mushy. Mine were bland and I don't know why. I would try them again if there was a chance that they could be better.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:How did you like the Cherokee Purple. I tried them once but although they were large, they were kinda mushy. Mine were bland and I don't know why. I would try them again if there was a chance that they could be better.
By far my favorite and the variety desired by my friends. They are ripe before you think they are, so that may account for the mushy. Had tomato sandwich with my mom yesterday!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is the corn from your garden also?

I was also eating ripe garden tomatoes in May, but my corn is just now making silks.

When I grew Cherokee purple, they were delicious, but the plant was not very productive at all and I got very few of them. So I don't grow it any more. I would rather have a lot more tomatoes that are very good, even if not quite as delicious.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ripe tomatoes? You gotta be kidding? Here I planted then it promptly froze and now I have none.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I posted this May 24:

first ripe tomato.jpg
You do amazingly well with your short season, but I couldn't stand it. I moved South to get out of zone 6.

imafan26
Mod

The Cherokee Purple I grew were productive. I did pick a lot of them when they were really ripe so that may account for the mushiness.
Attachments
2011 Cherokee Purple Tomatoes
2011 Cherokee Purple Tomatoes

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

lakngulf wrote:
imafan26 wrote:How did you like the Cherokee Purple. I tried them once but although they were large, they were kinda mushy. Mine were bland and I don't know why. I would try them again if there was a chance that they could be better.
By far my favorite and the variety desired by my friends. They are ripe before you think they are, so that may account for the mushy. Had tomato sandwich with my mom yesterday!
I love CPs. I always have problems with them cracking, and/or with the plant dying prematurely, so this year I have 3 CP plants. They're worth it, for the flavor.

I love them in tomato sandwiches and in an insalate Caprese:

The very first time I tried one of mine I thought it was bland. But then the next few I ate (from the same picking) were wonderful. I'm thinking they may benefit from a few days of "counter time," although I'm not sure why that would be.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
lakngulf wrote:
I love CPs. I always have problems with them cracking, and/or with the plant dying prematurely, so this year I have 3 CP plants. They're worth it, for the flavor.

I love them in tomato sandwiches and in an insalate Caprese:

The very first time I tried one of mine I thought it was bland. But then the next few I ate (from the same picking) were wonderful. I'm thinking they may benefit from a few days of "counter time," although I'm not sure why that would be.
Agree with you on that but don't know why

applestar
Mod

Wes is another one that tastes better after counter ripening. I'm not growing CP this year but AM growing a few plants of Faelan's First Snow -- Cherokee Purple-based variant -- with CP characteristic fruits.... I tend to counter-ripen them all and hardly ever eat tomatoes same day as harvesting, but I'll try to remember this conversation and see if FFS also fits in this category.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”