NewRiverGeorge

Name this seedling...and a question

Hello all,

I found this and another seedling just like it growing in my corn today. I am not sure but I think it they may be cucumbers, but I wanted to get some expert opinions on this.
IMG_4544.JPG
Here is my dilemma....

1) If it's not a cucumber, then what is it?

2) I am planning on planting white half runner beans in the corn very shortly to start a three sisters garden. Will this adversely effect my plans, or if they are cucumbers will they just take the role of squash in the sisters garden?

3) Again, if these are cucumbers should I just transplant them out of there?

Thanks for your input.

NRG

applestar
Mod

For me it's hard to tell without size reference. If these are very big, then pumpkins and summer or winter squash are also possible.

Why do you think thy might be cucumber seedlings? Did you sow some seeds there?

Pumpkins and squash (and most cucumbers) are pollinated by bees, etc. insects and they are promiscuous. So volunteers (seeds for which may have come from last year's or store-bought fruits) are not dependable for harvesting and should be considered an experimental oddity. If you have limited space or specific considerations like growing near corn, I wouldn't let them grow there without knowing what they are. (And THIS coming from someone who routinely lets volunteers grow just to see what they turn out to be like :wink: )

NewRiverGeorge

I had cucumbers planted "near" there last year, but I have no idea how these seedlings would have been able to migrate that far...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you did not plant it..... it is a weed! Pull it out. Volunteer stuff in the squash family will never be like their parent because they cross pollinate with other varieties and next year they might be anything. Best to buy new labeled garden seeds each year. Have fun!

jeff84

I would let it grow. but as stated above don't expect it to do much. there is always a possibility it will do quite well though. the best pumpkins I ever grew came from a volunteer.

Wej

The seed's name is "Paul" but I cannot tell from where it comes :-)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”