Cynthia2017

Frost warning tonight what should I do?

I have spinach in pots, cabbage, kale, & broccoli plants, carrot & beet seedlings & bean seeds in the ground. There's a frost warning for tonight; should I cover any of it?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

You don't say how big your plants are, or any clue as to where you're from, but if the spinach, cabbage, kale and broccoli are fair size plants, a bit of frost really won't hurt them. As a matter of fact, they tend to enhance the flavor of things like kale, broccoli, and other winter greens. I've had beet plants fair well the few times they've been exposed to frost.

If the bean seeds are only in the ground and haven't sprouted, I can't see where there's any need to do anything to them. They don't like it when it's cold, so that may set them back from sprouting until the temperatures and soil warms back up again.

Things are so different for us gardeners. My beans have already produced and have been pulled since they were done, and that was bush green beans and soybeans I use for edamame.

Do yourself and us a favor and add where you're from to your sig line, or at least which growing zone you are in so folks in your climate can chime in with their take on things.

Cynthia2017

Thank you for your reply. The spinach is about 2-3". The beets & carrots are seedlings (no true leaves yet). The kale, cabbage & broccoli are 6-9" I'd say.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Cover up the beans. All that other stuff does good n cold weather.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Where are you that there is a frost warning in zone 5? That seems a little crazy for this late in the year.

applestar
Mod

Did you get the frost? -- were your plants OK?

Cynthia2017

Everything seems to be okay.
I'm in zone 5b
We are having a very cold spring
Thank you all for your feedback

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”