Cynthia2017

Temperatures to harden plants

I live in the maritimes. I'm trying to "harden" my seedings but the temperatures have been so low. This weeks night forcasts are 4,3,8,10,10. What is the min temp to leave melons, summer squash & cucumber plants out? After that I have tomatoes & peppers to go out so I could use help with those also

bri80

Sorry I'm not familiar with Celsius temps, but tomatoes need 40 degrees Fahrenheit at a bare minimum (that is to say, if night temps are going to drop below that, do not leave them out unprotected), peppers need 50, and melons and cucumbers need even more than that. Hope it helps.

applestar
Mod

Yes... I was thinking the order for planting out is backwards, too.... Good luck!

john gault
Green Thumb

What are your day time temps? I think they'll be alright, even at 4 c as long as it's not associated with high winds and the plants are given good sun in the day time. BTW, are these low temps normal for this time of year?

Cynthia2017

I'm using a gardening app called Clyde's. It suggests putting cucumbers, melons & summer squash out 24 May & pepper, tomatoes 31 May.
I think the temperatures are low for this time of year. This is my second year gardening veg. Last year I just did seeds in the ground & a few tomatoe plants but late as the whole thing was unplanned.
I did seedlings this year some have flowers already. Getting dates to start seeds from the app
Today it is 7C. Frost advisory in affect :( I haven't been putting them out even in the day if it's below 10C

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Set your plants outside during the day in real sun light when temperature is above freezing. Bring plants inside at night when temperature is too cold at night.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”