dtizme
Cool Member

cucumbers not doing well

I bought these from transplant last week and it appears that something is eating them. I planted the same variety in the same spot last year and they did well. I was also wondering if maybe I brought the bugs in from the wood chips but I have used those chips in another spot for a watermelon plant and it is doing well. Just wondering if it would be worth it to but new plants or would the same thing happen to them? would also like to know the cause. I'm assuming some kind of bug. Anyways thanks for any info I get in advance. I got 2 pictures. first 1 is of the best looking of the 5. other one doesn't look well
Attachments
worse of the 2
worse of the 2
the better of the 2
the better of the 2

applestar
Mod

I would suspect slugs. Probably hiding under the mulch.

dtizme
Cool Member

After seeing a picture of slugs on cucumbers I would agree that they are the culprit. I'm going to try this next time. cut the bottom out of some pots and put them in the ground. also put a little dish of beer near the 1 plant I kept to see if it attracts any slugs. Anyways do you think this 1 plant is worth keeping? Got rid of the mulch as well
Attachments
save or not?
save or not?
GOPR4923.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Slugs, but right now the caterpillars are out too. Check under the leaves. Putting out slug bait won't hurt either.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”