Actual_Dragon
Newly Registered

Mango Seed Germination

I'm not sure if it's a fruit, but I have a mango seed growing in a bag, with some paper towels. it's been like 2 weeks and it's got a good couple of roots started. How long can it sit in the bag? I really don't want to plant it, it's going to thailand as a gift for a friend. that's in 26 days. I just don't want it to die.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's eventually going to run out of the germination energy within the seed and it will need supplementation either by potting mix, ground, or liquid plant food. I don't know the time frame here, but it wouldn't be a horrible idea to begin supplementation now since you have 2 weeks of germination already. You can plant your seed in potting mix inside a small storage bag, and seal it up to the plant stem for shipping. You will need to be very careful with watering.

You will need to check with your shipping carrier as far as live plant shipping is concerned. I believe shipment of live plants may be forbidden in some places. If it's a go, you can ship the plant, baggies dirt and all in tightly filled packing peanuts.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”