Vclguy
Newly Registered

Broccoli problems

First time poster here so hello to all.

I am wondering what what is wrong with my Di Ciccio broccoli. It seems to have this abnormal brownish/yellowish color to it. Can someone please give me some insight to why it is growing like this. Is it safe to eat?
Attachments
20170524_165946.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It looks like some kind of disease.

applestar
Mod

Did it get really hot all of a sudden? Did it get dried out?

To me it looks like the flowerbuds started to open prematurely.

jeff84

I agree with applestar, would harvest now before it goes full bloom, you are doing better than I am, my broccoli is all leaf and no head at all.

john gault
Green Thumb

Personally, I would allow it to bloom and reseed itself for next year. The bees love the flowers and broccoli is pretty good at reseeding itself. I had two plants last year and that produced over a dozen plants this year, which I still have out there. I'm going to take the seeds and spread them around for next year. Also the birds love the seed, but they can't eat them all.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Are your having hot weather. When it got 90 degrees here my broccoli plants did the same thing then the plants started to bolt and make seeds. Time to pull them up eat the leaves and all you can eat in salad.

Crazy weather flash flood rains again every day for a week, temperature has dropped high yesterday was 56, today is 58, it was 92 a week ago. LOL

applestar
Mod

You can eat the yellowed head as long as the opening flower buds which are fragile hasn't turn brown. You only have a day or two window. It's impossible to pick them apart so once that happens, unless in obvious blocks that can be cut out (similar to bad spots on cauliflower) I jut give up and toss in the compost pile or, if salvageable, cook and give to my broccoli-loving kitty.

Once they start to bloom, the flavor becomes ...mmm... "sharp" ... think mustard green or maybe radish, and loses that mild "nutty?" flavor.

Vclguy
Newly Registered

Yes. I live in the San Francisco area and the weather has been very bipolar. So I will harvest them now and hope my next set will be alot healthier looking. Thanks guys

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”