Husk24

Which fertiliser for Okra ( lady fingers )?

Hi All

I am growing Okra for the first time, in pots in greenhouse, they look fine but growing very very slowly. Does anybody have experience of growing Okra 's? Which is the best feed /fertiliser? Can I use tomato feed?

Thks

applestar
Mod

That's what I used. Maybe extra nitrogen in the beginning though. Okra needs lots of root space so make sure they are in big pots-tubs-half barrels and not crowded -- one per. Also lots and lots of heat -- no doubt that's why in greenhouse there.

-- maybe position them up higher while still small or something to seek out warmer micro-climate in the structure.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I grow okra here in TN every summer I mix 15/15/15 and Urea 50/50 then give a 20 ft row an empty soup can full of fertilizer. Okra plants start out growing very slow it takes a month for them to get knee high. Then they grow a little faster it takes another month to get 4 ft tall. When the temperature gets 100 degrees, no rain, hot & dry as the desert okra takes off growing plants will be 6 to 7 ft tall in 2 more weeks. Plants will be producing okra pods faster than I can harvest them I have to check my plants every day to make sure I cut the pods before they get too large to cook. 4" longs pods are perfect of slicing and cooking in smoking hot oil. Okra is a crazy plant it does not care how bad soil is or if it every gets fertilizer and the hotter & dryer it gets the better okra likes it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”