Dandre

Veggie Garden Layout

Here in Chesterfield County, Virginia, USA, we have had some pretty bizarre weather during the month of May. Normally May is the ideal and totally safe month to plant warm weather crops. This year we've had temperate extremes of 40's F (5 C) at night to mid 90's F (35 C) during the day. During the cool periods plant growth pretty much came to a halt. Fortunately, with the return of warm and wet weather things are greatly improved. The attached photo shows my back yard garden (36 feet by 36 feet) (Aprox. 11 m) as of May 21, 2017. The soil is greatly enhanced by 25 years worth of composted manure and mulch. Walkways made of landscaping fabric makes access much easier during wet spells. A 3 ft. high small mesh fence keeps rabbits out and discourages chipmunks and squirrels. Ground hogs are another issue entirely. They can climb anything. I'll likely have to deal with them later in the season. Fortunately there are no deer in our mostly wooded small town setting. Visible in the photo are green beans, tomatoes in cages, lettuce, radishes and onions. Heirloom French marigolds are interspaced (white semi-circular fencing) between the tomato cages along the perimeter fence line. Five years of growing the pungent single-blossom tall marigolds has resulted in zero known instances of beetle damage. Wooden stakes support young climbing Scarlet Runner beans whose blossoms attract bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. I've been gardening for 50 years yet each year brings surprises and new learning opportunities. It's never boring. Thanks for your interest. Dandre - Chester, Virginia
Attachments
Garden 2017 - 009.JPG
Garden 2017 - 009.JPG (131.03 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Wow! Your garden is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing such a lovely part of your life!

bri80

Cool garden!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Interesting. I like it. Reminds me how my mother use to plant certain things in her garden.

Dandre

bri80 wrote:Cool garden!
Thanks. I've always thought that eye-appeal has a major positive impact in my willingness to put the sweat and labor into pulling weeds and cultivating.

Dandre

Gary350 wrote:Interesting. I like it. Reminds me how my mother use to plant certain things in her garden.
I likely became focused on garden layout and design from the practices of my life-long gardening father as observed in the 1950's. His gardens were always a joy to behold. Thanks for your observations.

Dandre

Shanghaisky wrote:Wow! Your garden is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing such a lovely part of your life!
Your uplifting comments are very much appreciated. Beauty is as important as yield and taste, in my humble opinion.

imafan26
Mod

Really beautiful and well organized.

Dandre

imafan26 wrote:Really beautiful and well organized.
Thanks for the comment. Brutal summer heat arrives here in June and cool weather crops like lettuce, spinach, radishes and onions fade away in the heat. My garden design has a purpose in that I try to keep the cool-weather items in areas where they will get partial afternoon shade to prolong their productive season.

imafan26
Mod

That is a good plan. I am already past the best time for those crops. I can extend my season by planting in morning sun, under trees and using heat resistant varieties and substitutes. In Hawaii, March is time to plant the first summer crops. Now, is the time to harvest the last of the cool season crops. I do have a 365 day growing season so I can plant them again in the fall when the weather cools off.

I like the way you have it fenced in. It should help to keep some of the critters out.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice Garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”