ashleydanielle89

Potatoe- Black Sludge/RedOrange Bug

Any ideas as to what this is on my potatoes? I've sprayed them, knocked them off and killed them. They just keep coming back. I live in eastern NC. Thanks in Advance
Attachments
Screenshot_20170519-082211_resized.png
Screenshot_20170519-082158_resized.png

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is it this guy:

This is the larval/ nymph stage of the Colorado potato beetle

"Larvae: The small, cyphosomatic (dorsal and ventral surfaces distinctly nonparallel), reddish larvae of the Colorado potato beetle are 1/2 inch long when mature. The larvae typically have two rows of black spots down the sides. The larvae are very plump and the abdomen is strongly convex. Larvae bear a terminal proleg at the tip of the abdomen as well as three pairs of thoracic legs." https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/veg ... eetles.htm

The adults look like this:

potato beetle, very destructive. It will also eat tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and petunias.

Rodales says a heavy layer of straw mulch around your plants inhibits them. Lady bugs and lacewings eat the eggs and larvae.
You may also want to Plant coriander, dill, sweet alyssum, fennel, and cosmos around your potato patch to attract the beneficial insects. Also try planting potato varieties that mature before pest populations reach their height in early summer, such as Caribe, Superior, and Yukon Gold.

Surrounding your potato patch with a plastic-lined, V-shaped trench can also reduce the number of adults that reach your plants in spring. As they emerge from the soil and head for the plants, they'll fall into the trench, where they can't get out, and you can destroy them.
https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/gard ... le-control

applestar
Mod

The sludge could also be this guy -- their larvae camouflage themselves by piling poop on their backs. I had a really bad infestation on potatoes one year when I didn't realize what they were initially and let them get out of hand :x

Subject: Mealybug? Eggplant leaf
6sparkpug6 wrote:Hi-

So a year later, I finally found out what this bug is (not the white one but the one in the second batch of pictures). Turns out that it is was clavate tortoise beetle larva and it is now a clavate tortoise beetle, attached below.

I just wanted to let everyone know in case someone has the same problem. Thank you for your help apple :)

ashleydanielle89

Ugh :( I did not have this problem last year! Looks like I have a lot of work to do :| thanks for your help!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”