Bamagarderner
Newly Registered

What's killing my cucumbers?

I planted six cucumber plants in a line last week. When I came out the next morning, one had wilted and there was a hole in the soil right at the base of the stem. It was as if someone had stuck a finger straight down into the soil. I sprayed the remaining plants with Sevin, but over the past few days they have all suffered the same fate. Something went right down the line and put a hole at the base of each stem. I dug up the soil but didn't find anything. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Thanks so much!

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like cutworms. when the seeds come up put a collar around them to keep them from cutting the stems down. You can try row covers to keep the moths from laying the eggs in the first place. A third option would be to either purchase or start cucumbers in pots then transplant out. Cutworms will mow down seedlings but once the plant gets a thicker stem they are safe. Collar the seedlings just in case.

Bamagarderner
Newly Registered

Thank you! I thought it might be cutworms, but it didn't look like they were cutting the stems - all I saw was the hole next to the stem. I'm putting in 6 new plants today - I'll take your advice and use collars this time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”