MOFishin

Straw mulch "burning" lower leaves?

I was discussing gardening with two friends earlier this evening. One of the friends, whose home we were at, had a bunch of bales of straw sitting around that we could as much as we needed of for our gardens.
They got into a conversation about how the bales that had been sitting outside the barn in the weather would be better because of their duller color. They were say the very light colored straw would reflect light upwards too much and burn up the lower branches/leaves of my tomatoes, etc.
Thoughts? And if this is true, what do I do with the fresh bale of straw I already have in my garage?
Thanks in advance :D

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Been using straw in my garden forever! I've not experienced burn. I would think that the DARKER the mulch, them more heat it would absorb from the sun, essentially heating up any shallow roots.... maybe I'm on the wrong track here...

That would have to be some pretty harsh reflection. I would think it would have to be mirror like or shiny to reflect and focus that kind of heat or intensity.

I think I'll call "old wives tale" on that. :>

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree... I've always used straw for mulch. In my previous location, I would buy a bale of straw in the summer when I ran out of last year's fall leaves and use it for mulch and for "browns" in my compost pile. Never had any issues with burning. And you can look at it and see that it isn't reflecting any visible amount of light.

Doesn't matter what color your straw starts as. If you live in a dry enough climate, the straw will dry out and bleach out. And that is fine.

applestar
Mod

Yeah, I think they might be confusing hay with straw (and making up stuff as a result). Green unspoiled hay will burn the plants if pushed up against them because the hay heat up fast as it break down. Spoiled hay would have gone through the initial breakdown process and won't burst into self-generated heat as readily without adding something to activate it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"They were say the very light colored straw would reflect light upwards too much and burn up the lower branches/leaves of my tomatoes, etc.
Thoughts?"

I am gonna say: Bah Humbug. Using that straw should be no problem at all.

MOFishin

Thanks everyone! I must admit, my friend who brought it up has been known to tell "old wives tales" if you will, so I was suspicious from the beginning.
Thanks again.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”